Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone try a Yamaha Attitude bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Sep 10, 2002.

1. I am looking for a passive, bolt-on with that massive P-bass booty my Warwicks are currently missing. I sure like the Dimarzio's I have heard in other Fender P's and thought with that EB-O in the neck this Yamaha might be a terrific candidate for my deep dub stylin's.....?
    Any experiances you folk could share? Weight isn't an issue, just a massive, deep and punchy Precison vibe. What d'ya all say?

[​IMG]

2. yeah i'd love to know about it too i want to know how those scallopped frets feel

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It feels frigging weird, very much a Frankensteinian instrument. There's very little clearance at the between the strings and the top of the body, so slapping is a bit of a chore. The scalloped frets, on the other hand, make the neck feel like it hasn't been setup right--there's all that space under the high frets. Even with a setup, it doesn't feel setup, if that makes sense.

Try before you buy; this isn't a one-size-fits-all instrument.

4. That seems like a fair assesment. The scalloped frets were certainly NOT a sellingt point for me...just the PU placement and possible "dub-worthiness."

5. Yes, I play them!!! I love them, too. Feels great, plays great, and sounds AWESOME! I own the first run Attitudes, the Ltd II models, and the Attitude X models. I'm a big Billy Sheehan fan!

The scalloped frets are fine and help for the high bending. Sounds good both with the signal split into 2 amps and combined into one. The Model One sounds good and the Dimarzio P just kills....Good luck!

6. ZonMan

ZonMan

Sep 10, 2002
    Berkley, MI USA
    Oooh, goodie! I can chime in on this thread. I have an Attitude Custom (autographed by Billy himself) that was my main bass for a couple years. It's definitely the heaviest bass I own, and it seems to be neck-heavy, although I'm probably spoiled because of my Zons and Steinberger. LOL

The Custom does NOT have the scalloped frets, but the electronics are interesting: "P" style pickup, "woofer" pickup hidden under the pickguard (no raised square like you see in the photo of the Attitude Limited), and PIEZO pickups in the bridge. :) Unless you look closely, all you see is a single P pickup. Oh yeah, and two output jacks, with a slightly recessed Stereo/Mono switch on the back of the bass near the electronics cover.

2 concentric pots, 1 three-way switch. Lower neck-side knob is volume for Woofer pickup, lower bridge-side knob is Piezo pickup, upper bridge knob is P volume, upper bridge pickup is P tone. 3-way switch selects between P, P+Piezo, Piezo. Woofer pickup is always on unless volume is rolled off.

In Stereo mode, one output is the Woofer pickup, and one output is the blend of P and Piezo. In Mono mode, both output jacks put out a blend of all 3 pickups. This would allow you, for example, to send the mid and high frequencies of the piezo and P pickup through effects, dynamics processing, etc., while leaving the low and mid frequency Woofer pickup signal unmolested.

The combinations of tones you can get is fantastic! With the P pickup off, and just the woofer and Piezo, you get somewhat of a Jazz Bass tone (i.e. bridge and neck pickups), but with more clarity and punch. With the Piezos off and the P on, you get a punchy P-Bass tone with LOTS of low end. There are MANY more combinations, as I'm sure you can imagine. The bass sounds fantastic recorded direct.

I may have a few pics of it at home. If I can track them down, I'll post them later.
    -Mike

7. ZonMan

ZonMan

Sep 10, 2002
    Berkley, MI USA
    Do you have Niacin's "Blood, Sweat & Beers" live DVD? INCREDIBLE!! Small jazz-club gig of theirs in Japan. LOTS of closeups of Billy soloing like a madman. Dennis Chambers is DA MAN back there on the drums, and John Novello's Hammond playing blew me away. Beg, borrow, steal, or buy your own today if you've never seen it!
    -Mike

8. That custom sounds fairly great? I am looking for P-bass booty with massive deep and punchy tones. Scalloped frets are not what I need... Is there no tone control on that model?

9. I have to agree with you. I had the opportunity to play a friends 59' Pee Bass and he had just replaced the original PUPs (I thought he'd lost his mind) with an $85 DiMarzio set. He obviously has the originals saved, but the new ones sound super Phat! They are quite nice.

Myself being a Pee Bass lover too, versus screwing around trying to find a nice Fender, I just bought a Lakland Bob Glaub Signature series modeled after a 64' Fender. It uses custom wound Lindy Fralin PUPs and has a v.large P-bass vibe.

Good Luck
    PS: Lakland also makes these in their less expensive Skyline series and they are near exact with the same PuPs. Just becoming available now!

10. ZonMan

ZonMan

Sep 10, 2002
    Berkley, MI USA
    I think the Custom sounds great. Like I said, you can turn off the Piezos, leaving just the P pickup and the Woofer pickup active. This gives you the P-bass tone with extra low end. The P pickup has volume and tone control. The Piezo and Woofer only have a volume control.
    -Mike

11. ZonMan

ZonMan

Sep 10, 2002
    Berkley, MI USA
    Here's a picture of me with my Attitude Custom. Jeez... this pic is almost 8 years old. Makes me feel ancient. LOL

You can't really make out the dual-output jacks from this pic, but they're there. The black squiqqle on the upper horn is Billy Sheehan's autograph, the gold squiggle underneath is Michael Manring's.
    -Mike

[​IMG]

12. ZonMan

ZonMan

Sep 10, 2002
    Berkley, MI USA
    Ah... I found another pic of it that I thought I had lost. There are a couple other basses and a race car in this pic, too, but pay no attention to them. LOL

[​IMG]

13. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    ive tried one of yamaha's T.V.'s and CD Players, and a few of their ATVs and dirt bikes.:rolleyes:

14. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Yamaha quads love to blow their carbs off(well, the raptor at least, they are fast, though). I ride Hondas.:)

A little OT.

15. That must sound huge? You don't wish you had a tone control on the woofer though huh? No snarly highs on that? I crave the P-bass with the tone control half down sound. how close is it to a traditional P sound?
    Wow..I was just at the Dimarzio site checking out that "model one" PU and those "Will power" ones...damn. I should just score a fantastic P-bass adn squeez one of those in there. They must sound amazing? Which mnodel do you guys prefer? There are two?

http://www.dimarzio.com/

[​IMG]

16. As a matter of fact, I watched "Live: Blood, Sweat, and Beers" tonight....

I have all the Talas, Mr. Big, Niacin, session stuff from Billy. Now, if I can just get to spend time/pick his brain/jam with him...Also, he will have to sign all 10 of my Attitudes....

17. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    [​IMG]

This is the pickup behind the pickguard on the Attitude Custom (non-sig. bass w/piezos n' P). I have the same bass. The neck on it was so weak I ended up sending it to Canada to have a new neck built for it. I didn't have any luck getting Yamaha to back their product, unfortunately. I think when it comes back that pickup will come out and I'll put the Willpower neck position and center position pickups in, maybe see if I can get a MOTS pickguard cut for it.

fremenblue

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Attitudes are a lot of fun...not good for slapping though since the neck pup gets in the way.

I added a Will Power neck pup to my (former) Charvel Model 3B (like of like a neckthrough P bass with onboard preamp and stock PJs (although I replaced the P with a Will Power Middle)). I think that that pup needs a tone control...I was surprised how many highs it actually produced. I believe the Attitude has the tone control on the neck pup and none on the P pup.

Get yourself a nice P Bass style instrument (hmmm like an Essex) and a router and have at it.

I made a template out of plywood for my Charvel since I only had one chance to get it right. I took my time and it came out perfectly.

I've seen a few Will Power Neck pups on ebay at reasonable prices.

Another option is to get a body from Warmoth and have them route a pup opening near the neck pocket..at that point, you could use whatever you wanted to... a Will Power, a MM type pup, a J type pup another P type pup, soapbar etc.

Have fun!!!!!

19. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    The Attitude Customs are the one Attitude with a hummer in the neck that ARE slappable because they don't have the EB-style pup that sets above the pickguard. Instead they have the pickup I posted in my previous post which sets concealed beneath the pickguard in the neck position. Since I already own this bass I'd rather mod it than to go to yet another bass and start from scratch. . .though I've also toyed with modding my Precision, but not seriously.

fremenblue