Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone try an Elrick Jazz Standard???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 20, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Holy smokes,

i was just over at Bass Boutique demo'ing, falling in love with, fawning over, their new Aguilar DB750, and in the window, jimmy had an Elrick fretless 5 string Jazz Standard. and all i can say is WOAH! simply killer bass. for something handmade by one gent, his prices are very competitive. anyone else try one? how are the 4 strings?

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I played that red fretted Elrick NJS 5 at Bass Northwest. It was beautifully crafted, as are all of Rob's basses, but the passive pups on that particular bass were kind of noisy. I also like the stylings of Rob's Gold Standard basses better.....which is why I bought my GS 5. Anyway, Elrick basses are the poop and as you noted, his prices are very reasonable. You'd be very happy with that frettless NJS you saw.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a pretty nice one-off NJS fretless five... it's a phenomenal bass IMO.

There are some great deals on used Elricks right now, due to the soft market.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What would you like to know?

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had a fretted NJS with 21 frets. Very rich tone with multiple variations. Exquisite workmanship. I would have one again, but I have to pretty much stick to one great bass at a time.

6. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    You sold your fretted NJS because the finish hue??:eek:

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would Have to say that I am glad I bought My Elrick When I did. I think I will buy another one next summer as well.. The prices are very low considering the time,quality, and just the plain fact that these basses are indeed the stuff. I have a feeling within the next 5 years or so the prices will go up.. hopefully not though

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yep. In the pics it was a red stain. In real life it was magenta, a purplish red. Looked like Barney with a Maple board. I bought it new through the web and after trying to find some option as far as "fixing" it (the stain didn't absorb into the wood consistently, resulting in lots of light areas), I gave up and sent it back.

The bass looked funny... call me shallow;)

BTW I just saw it on eBay recently.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Couldn't capture the real color with my camera;)

[​IMG]

10. I played one two weeks ago. Great for the price. Will certainly be my next bass. Unless a fodera Matt Garisson comes firsts.
    Ross

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Am I to understand you no longer own an Elrick? I'm confused...

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I really like the Jazz Elrick's much more then the Deluxe body. But to each his own, that why Rob makes both. Rob is a super craftsman and builds wonderful instruments. I wish he would build more basses with less Bartolini so people could really hear his work instead of coloring it.

Great basses, heres some of the ones I've SOLD in the past!

http://www.angelfire.com/ab2/bbarrett2/images/elrick.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/tn/bbarrett1/page34.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/ab4/bbarrett4/page5.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/tn/briansbass/page37.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/ab2/bbarrett2/page24.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/tn/briansbass/page49.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/tn/briansbass/page331.html

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My Bart-equipped Elricks sound great. Apparently Rob likes Barts too, I'm guessing that's why he uses them.

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Josh

If you look at the Aero’s, Shur, Fralin, and quite a few others they pull more attributes from the instrument in tone and wood choices used. Bartolini’s and EMG’s both are very EQ’ed in the coloration and an example is by comparing an MTD and an Elrick and you will find they both sound very close to the same because of the color of the pickups. Same with EMG’s, you can place EMG’s in any mex fender, etc and it will sound fine. This is because of the Eqing of the pickup and mask the actual instrument (not always a bad thing).
    Rob has built a few Elrick’s with Aero’s and SD and I’m sure others. The majority of his basses come out with Bartolini, and for good reason. His national sales guy is also Bartolini’s !:rolleyes:

Rob's a Great guy and will build to order, but Bartolini just happens to be his standard option.

This in no means is down grading anything mentioned about. My opinion, and sorry if it tweaks a nerve, but maybe you should test this…………..

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Just the "red" one is gone. I still have the semihollow NJS fretless 5 and I just got a singlecut Deluxe fretless 5 this week.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not trying to tweak anyone either but my MTD sounds nothing like my Elricks. Completely different sound. And none of those basses sound like my Tobiases... which don't sound like my Lakland, which bore no resemblance to my Brubakers, which don't even sound like each other. My Zon has it's own vibe too. Sounded nothing like my Surine. I shouldn't even mention my Clover:D

That's based on my experience;)

IME my basses with Barts have the same sound plugged in as they do unplugged, they're just louder plugged in. That's pretty uncolored in my book, which is why I like them. YMMV

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Your right Brad, I’m so sorry. I didn’t clarify that a Pre-Gibson Tobias with a totally different style or pickup & preamp, correct made by Bartolini. Or a bass with a graphite neck verse a wood neck, both with totally different Eq’d might I add. I forget on talkbass the obvious isn’t obvious. And your right, my opinion should stay to my self since I’m not a big talkbass board member.

Sorry for having an opinion, I stand correct. Thanks Brad.

Peace

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    My point, which I mentioned is that the color attributes are the same. The over all tone is very similar, and I said that. I wasn't trying to start anything and that why I reiterated my self a few times by starting the similar tonal attributes. Also the reason I gave the EMG example.

You also correct in every pickup and preamp has their own color, but my point I stated is that there are pickups that bring out more attributed of the instrument then others.

Thanks

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You didn't miss anything, Josh... it's just business as usual:rolleyes:. Of course I said he couldn't have an opinion, right... you just have to read between the lines that are being read between;)

Brian, how did I hurt your feelings this time? I disagreed with your comparison of Bart equipped MTDs and Elricks, based on currently owning both. I also said that, for something that supposed to be colored, I sure get a lot of different sounds from the same brand of pickups and electronics. You or anyone else can disagree with that and I guarantee I won't start whining... it's my opinion.

I also didn't realize I was a "big talkbass board member"... unless you mean physically;). I do post frequently but so can anyone else.

Is that so wrong?
    :D

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Thats cool, I was trying to clarify my statement and your comment seem to be an unhappy rebuttal and as if I was directly referring to you.

It’s a matter of posting/e-mail. Intent doesn’t transfer and nor does the feeling one might have verse the way its perceived.

As for big talkbass member, you are. Nothing wrong, but you have a lot of supporters here that take up for you when you say something. Nothing wrong with that. I wasn’t referring to anything else
    :)