1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone try Audere 2-band?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jefenator, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've been thinking about upgrading my Dingwall Afterburner I with a preamp. The Audere 3ZB is so flexible, it could be a pretty easy install with the existing holes. (There's a spot for an active/passive switch - can even stack a passive tone knob under the volume!)

I'm pretty partial to 2-band and that's all there's room for without drilling. So, no need to try talking me into 3 or 4-band. ;) (Maybe on some future project...)

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried an Audere configured for 2-band. Especially if you can compare it with the Aguilar OBP-1, Bartolini NTBT and/or Sadowsky preamps.

Thanks! :bassist:

2. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm very interested in this as well. Want to try an Audere, but not sure what configuration yet and wouldn't mind the simplicity of two band.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I currently have a 2 band audere in a jazz bass and have a sadowsky. I just sold a DB924. With the Sadowsky makes a huge change in the sound of your bass. extreme lows and crisp highs. Adds somewhat of a hi-fi overtone to your sound... Not a bad thing.

The audere, IMO is very natural sounding, more organic in all modes. I think it interacts more with your bass than many preamps. The Aguilar, I owned the box and had it onboard has nice lows, and the highs can get out of hand if you boost too much.

Overall I would rate the audere most organic, the aggie in the middle and the Sadowsky being the most "effected"

I have the audere in a fender jazz with maple board and ash body and also have a sadowsky NYC with the same combination. I will try to make sound samples tonight.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks, Pikebass!

I used to really like the Aguilar (OPB1 same as DB924 IIRC). I remember it was pretty close to the bypassed sound with both boosts turned down. But crank 'em up and, watch out!! :hyper: Very musical, totally slap-friendly. Definitely more boost than anyone should ever need. :D

You're not the first person I've heard to describe the Audere as "organic". That's got me very intrigued.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    my opinion is pretty different. ive had an audere 2 band and a sad onboard in the same jazz bass. the audere was more clicky and hifi sounding even set flat. the sad sounds more natural and the boost only gets unusable if you dime the controls.

6. On that note, can anyone advise if the Audere z3 mode jazz plates will fit the squier and MIM jazz basses as well as the American Jazz? Judging from the photos on the Audere website they all look the same. But I can't truly know the dimensions until after purchase unfortunately...

I'm talking about this plate specifically.
    Audere Audio

7. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think all of the Jazz bass plates are the same general size. I am going to be getting one in a few weeks for my MIM. I hope that's right!! Of course if not, I can always retro fit it to the stock plate, but I'd hate to have to do that.

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The Squier control plates are a slightly different shape where they match up with the pickguard. At least they are on my Affinity five strings. I had to shave the pickguard down a little for the Audere to fit right.

9. yeah, good point! That would definetely solve the problem.

10. Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to fit...a Squier affinity 5 string. I'm also thinking of running mine with some bart p/u's. are you running yours with the stock squier jazz pups? if so, how is the sound quality/tone?

11. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I am using the the stock Squier pickups. I had Fender Noiseless in for a while, but was not happy with the sound. The Squiers sound more like a real Jazz to me than the Noiseless. Hard to explain. The Noiseless also didn't get along with the Audere well. If the string hit the polepiece it cut out all output. Very strange. Not an issue with the Squires, but it did force me to adjust my right hand technique!

If you swap out the pickguard for a Standard Fender V, the match with the control plate is perfect. There is just a tiny gap by the neck.
    Squier5body.

Of course, the Affinity V looks good without the pickguard as well, since there are no routes under it.
    IMG_3459.

12. that looks like a squier V deluxe... w/ a fender logo??

13. Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Oct 15, 2010
    My jazz plate experience has been that every tone module that has fit on my MIA standard has fit my Squier Affinity. Plus, the cavities seem to be nearly identical in size and shape.

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It's an Affinity with a Fender logo.

15. Yes, I have been running an Audere 2 band for quite about 4 years..I love it, and have no need to try anything else..Organic is a very realistic word.
    It's one amazing preamp. I have a 2band I move around between various jazz basses as they become my 'favourite'..lol

I also have a 3bander on my other main working jazz...It's ok, but I never use the mid control, and the frequencies on the high and low are a bit different.
    I prefer the 2 band with 2 volumes...The 3 band has a blend pot, which is the best I've ever used, but I don't like blend pots..lol
    This is one amazing preamp, you can about do anything with it.

The 2banders current installation is with an awesome 84 MIJ Squier I recently bought and switched in Dimarzio Area J pickups...

I find it hard to imagine not having this preamp on my stage basses.

16. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I have a 2 band and a 4 band audere with Z switch. I much prefer the 2 band. The EQ curves are much more useful, musical and far less fiddly. Being fiddly during a performance messes with me. Currently using the 2 band with Nordstrand big splits. I get a huge but articulate sound by turning the Z switch to the treble boost setting and turning the bass knob about half way up. The Audere preamp lets the rich mid tones from the Nordstrands shine through. Audere tone is not too punchy. It sits well in a mix.

17. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    IMG_0419.JPG I like the 2 band classic series so much I had two of them installed in this bass one for each half of the pickup.

18. Oh that's cool!