Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone try Dean Markley Will Lee SR 2000 strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by safebuster, Jan 16, 2003.

1. safebuster

safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    Hi anyone have any experience with them? i tried to put them on my old Stingray 5 and the strings layed on the neck so i removed them and put rotosounds on, now i have a Lakland 55-02 and i put them on stringing them thru the bridge (you can go thru the body as well) they worked ok ...they have about a 1" span on the string from the ball that is a single strand before the wound part begins the idea is clarity and sustain! im going to give them a test run tonight (band practice) but i was wondering if anyone else tried them

2. I have tried just about every string on the market on my Lakland 55-94. The Will Lee strings are just SR2000's with wierd gauges. Come to think of it, all of the SR2000's have wierd gauges. It's all about you gauge preference. They should work fine on your 55-02 if you like the gauges, and like stainless roundwounds with a tapered core.

3. safebuster

safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    hey thanks for the response they are strainge gauges but so far they sound amazing the thing with these is the very thin single strand sits on the saddle really lowers the action of the bass i just wanted to know if anyone out there has used them (other than Will Lee)

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I tried them once and the B string was flappy on an instrument that normally has a very good B. I don't really know why. I tried every set up trick I could think of but it still flopped.

5. safebuster

safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    Hey Pale I'm using a Lakland 55-02 35" scale so the B is actually nice and tight with booming output! i was playing it last night they sound great i hope they hold up,

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Maybe I just got a lemon,

7. Maybe you pluck the strings harder than safebuster.
    Different people have different playing styles, and opinions about what is tight or floppy. It's all subjective.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Definitely. But this was plain old floppy, playing style aside.

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    That's why your bridge saddles are adjustable.