1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone try low B

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 29, 2006.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I want to try out a Low B tuning on my upright (B E A D) just to see how it sounds. I was wondering if anyone else has played an upright with a low B, and how it sounds?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I've had my EUB tuned that way for about a year and I like it a lot, I sometimes drop the B to A too for fun. I'd tune my DB this way too if it was bigger and deeper sounding, but I don't think it would work all that well on my bass to where I'd be happy with the volume and tone of the B.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah I've got a B string on my bass these days. It's a Helicore Hybrid. I first tried a Spirocore and I had a harder time hearing the fundamental than with the Helicore.

Anyway, yeah it's cool to be able to vibrate that low...but B/C strings are larger than an E string, so I had to file the nut and bridge slot to accomodate it.

I'm tuned CGDG right now.