Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone try one of these Sadowsky's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 21, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

http://sadowsky.com/stock/view/4336.html that is one hot bass!. Last time i was in the shop in late April i got to play this one http://sadowsky.com/stock/view/4307.html and i was really suprised at how much the pick up position was a factor in the tonal diffrence between this and the standard sadowsky soapbar location.I found it much easier to get a J bass growl in this position then were these pick ups are traditional placed on Sadowskys.If you want a more modern tone with J like growl with a huge bottom in a Sadowsky I highly recommend a configuration like this. :bassist:

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Really? Wow! I saw the second one you posted. I thought it would be cool but not a J bass tone/growl.

Jason Newsted had a 24-5 made that had the Soaps in the J position. Very interesting.

Wish I could try it out but no way unless I fly out there and I have no reason to go to New York right now to jsutify the expense.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I'm going to Brooklyn on Monday. I'll let u know how they all play. LOL!!!!

Rob

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Great.. very interested to hear about the sound difference between these (humbuckers in J-position) and the 'standard' humbucker-equipped 5-strings. The 2nd one posted above caught my eye when I saw it a few weeks ago, seems like a very cool arrangement.

5. Actually, Newstead's 24-5 had J pickups (not soaps) in the J position, from what I recall. Neat, since I really like the contours of the 24-fret model...

Mike

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    that was post-Metallica. If you watch Cunning Stunts, his 24 fret 5s have the soapbars in the J position

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Nope. He has two. First he had a 24-5 with soaps in the J position. The he had Roger make him the 24-5 with the J's. Look below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. That's right, I'd forgotten about that earlier one...

9. MAJOR METAL

10. MAJOR METAL

If it is not sold before next Wednesday i will get to check it out then. :bassist:

11. MAJOR METAL

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

U bet I did! Beautiful color, great neck profile. Had a jazz bass type tone about it because of the pickup placement but because of the soapbars was a tad thicker sounding. I really liked it. Feel in love with the coral pink vintage 4 and got a chance to play an ultra vintage 5. Like a geddy lee look but 5 string. The coolest neck profile in the shop. Loved it. Flat and wide. Want to pick one up eventually. This one was a bit too heavy for me but soon, I'm sure of it. There was also a 24 fret 5 with a spalted top. Wasnt quite ready for the website. It was one of the prettiest basses I've ever seen. Period. Beautiful

Rob

13. MAJOR METAL

Cool , thanks Rob.Yeah i was really amazed at how pick up placment with these pickups so changed the sound. Did you bring yours down to the shop for some TLC?.

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Not for tlc. I got a clear 1/2 guard installed on my trans blue metro and picked up a bunch of sets of strings. Also, always nice to visit everyone there. Met Kevin for the first time, a true gentleman. Roger was in great spirits, Anthony too. Trever installed the guard, great work. Too fun not to visit here and there

Rob

15. MAJOR METAL

Yeah the Sadowsky shop is one of my favorite places in the NYC area. :hyper:

16. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi Rob,
    would/could you elaborate more on the soap bars pups, pretty please? Thank you.

Mo'

17. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Not the typical single coil sound. Beefier than I'm used to hearing for a jazz bass. More natural bass. I didnt really crank up the amp. All the trials were at low volumes. I really liked what I heard though. Would love to try that bass for a couple sets some night

Hurry! Someone buy it and let me borrow it

LOL

Rob

18. MAJOR METAL

With some preamp adjustment you can get some growl and trebble Jaco tone. Rob go for it!. :bassist:

19. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Major, you are evil. LOL Just kidding. You love spending my money, dont you! I think I'm gonna wait for a ultra vintage 4 or 5. Need to wait for a light one, though.

Rob

20. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Thanks Rob,
    I've been wondering on these soapbars since Roger changed from EMG (don't like) to Seymour Duncan (custom). On the Modern 24 are just the s***t! I would really like to hear them on a Jazz placement!

Aloha

Mo'