Anyone try one of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Mar 16, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  2. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Whut the ham sammich?!?
  3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Do they come with a Dramamine prescription?
  4. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Dang, they're right here in Austin too. I might have to arrange a visit to see what they're puttin' out. Not that I'd be a good person to post a review or anything since I'm hardly a good player yet, but I'm curious...
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Is that supposed to be more ergonomic and comfortable?
  6. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, it explains it on the website. I just sent a message asking about arranging a visit, and gave them a link to this thread... who knows, Jerome or one of his reps may join up here and provide some insight.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There's a guy I know that has one. It's a great little bass, especially for him. He has really bad problems with his hands and this bass takes care of that. It's a little strange at first but you quickly adjust.
  8. Torzal

Torzal Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Austin, TX USA
    Owner: Little Guitar Works
    Thanks, Midnight Jazz, for clueing me in on the discussion. It is explained a little better on my website, but yeah, these basses are designed to be more ergonomic, to reduce the stress on your wrists and hands. I'm in the process of putting up my new web site, so there are a lot of pictures that aren't up yet, but check back in a few days! Feel free to write me if anybody has questions or wants to know more about my basses or what I'm up to. Thanks!

Jerome Little
  9. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    I just had a look at their website ... seems they had a couple of clever intuitions. It would be cool if the guy could join us at TB ...
  10. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Hey Jerome,
    you're faster than my thoughts! Welcome on board! ;)
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Welcome aboard!

I'd like to know more about these basses, and see them in action.

12. If that isn't the most interesting twist on the whole bass-playing thing, I don't know what is!

I would love to see pictures of a person actually playing one of these to get a better feel for how that twist factors into the big picture.

I have also seen basses with 'fanned' frets... My brain hurts trying to figure out how these thing work!

I am so glad there are people out there who can figure this stuff out!

13. Torzal

Torzal Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Austin, TX USA
    Owner: Little Guitar Works
    If I've figured out how to attach a photo, then here's a picture of Dave Pomeroy playing his Torzal bass at the GHS booth at the '03 NAMM. He happens to be playing up the neck in this shot, so you don't get to see the effect down towards the nut, where it matters most. Hopefully you can see the twist though, and imagine how it might be to play on the first few frets. It's not as drastic as most people think, as it really does model the natural motion of the hand as it moves outward.

Jerome Pomeroy2003.jpg
  14. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Hey an original bass design... kinda rare to see something so original. If it does what it claims to do, bravo!

Where can we play one? Any press on this thing? You need to get some PR going. Good Luck Jerome!
  15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Hey, Jerome, nice to see you here again.

Could you answer a few questions on these? Thanks:

1. Do you normally build these with a truss rod, and if so, which way does it move the neck?

2. What's it like setting these up? Specifically, due to the effect that with an extreme twist, raising a bridge saddle moves the string sideways at the nut, and moving the string sideways at the bridge would raise of lower it at the nut.

3. Would you ever consider combining your neck shape with f*nned frets?
  16. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    Thats the wierdest twist (pardon the pun) on basses Ive ever seen. How the heck does that thing stay it tune. From the pic the neck looks warped like it has scroleiosis. All this time Im thinking that the worst thing that could happen to a bass and now a luthier does that on purpose. I guess I'll be the first admitted skeptic. Please post a clip with that tone. This coud turn the bass world upside down. I'll tell you what I applaud your bold design but Im still a skeptic. Somebody play it and post a review.

btw has one of those made it to any NYC stores yet?
  17. I ask because some time down the road, I'm going to require a wrist fusion surgery and that looks like just the ticket to keep me playing bass.

What are the pickup options?

Good questions guys, keep 'em coming.
  18. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Actually, this has the touch of genius. It's not the idea that seems so strange, but the success of bringing it into physical being using wood. If this can stay stable in it's twisted configuration, I say it deserves some sort of serious award.

Kudos to Jerome for having the vision to carry this out.
  19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, I definitely admire the fact that somebody brought this into reality. Too many good ideas never get past the "wouldn't it be cool if..." stage. And I also admire the premise stated on their site of adapting the instrument to fit the person rather than the other way around. If this design pans out well, I imagine a lot of us geezers will be buying one!