1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone try out for other bands while in one?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QORC, Mar 25, 2006.

1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    just to see if there is something better out there?

I'm considering it. I'm not entirely happy in my band, but not ready to chuck it either. on the fence. Looking for that bigger, better deal, I guess

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Do it.

Bass players are always in demand. If you aren't happy with your current gig then you can/should easily find another one.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Definitely go for it. I usually play in 3 bands at the same time. I categorize them as "my new band", "my good band", and "the band I'm leaving soon". And each band changes from one category to another due to factors that are usually not caused by me.

For example, "my good band" lost our lead singer and our drummer, so they became "the band I'm leaving soon". But before I could find a new band to replace them, we got a new singer and a new drummer, so they became "my new band" again!

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I did. I got a new gig last December and told the old/good band that I wanted out. I told them that I would play out anything that was on the books as long as they were looking.
    They were able to get a guy by the middle of January so I went off to do my thing. So I joined a band and while I was in that band I auditioned for another band and got that. So then I was in two bands and after spending 3 months learning songs I got tired of getting ready to gig. Well one band was gigging but the other(newer) band was starting up.
    Then in the beginning of March my old band called me and said that the new bass player needed me to sub for a couple of gigs. Since I was in freelance mode I agreed. After talking we decided I should come back home and rejoin. So I quit the newer band and joined the old band again but I am still in the new band. I haven't told them I went back to the old band but I think I can handle both at this time.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I was actively looking for other bands when I was in a musically crappy/disfunctional band. I just didnt mesh well with the personalities and lack of talent, but I stuck with it for a while because I love music and was new to town. Funny thing is, I learned a lot by playing with a lousy band- I learned how to do sick fills and appropriate bass lines in really simple music.

By chance I met some people and jammed with them (I happened to have my gear in my car), and the rest is history.

7. Do it. Going "freelance" is a good thing. More gigs; more exposure. Drawback is you REALLY have to keep up on your calendar! Remember; it's a BUSINESS. If you're not getting the income you want or need somewhere, start looking around for the right "employer"l.

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I'm glad you posted this thread, QORC... 'cuz it kinda let's me have an opportunity to share some of my grief... :(

I rocked for over 13 years back in the good 'ol '70s and early '80s, and for a good part of that period, we got to compete against disco...:spit: ...anyway, I took a 22-year hiatus from playing... had to get real serious 'bout being a daddy to identical twin daughters. Well... they're both grown-up ladies now, and I managed to develop a successful business along the way... with help from my partner... can't take all the credit...

...so, a little over a year ago I decided I wanted to get back into the game at the not-so-tender age of 51. I invested a significant pile of $$ in bass equipment, and started scraping the rust off of my chops. Sometime back in March-05, I hooked-up with a drummer, and in June-05 he and I found a singer & guitar guy, who were looking for a bass player and drummer. None of these guys have a problem with my age, 'cuz on average, they're all about 10 years younger than me. Once they heard my rockin' history... not to mention that I had gotten most all of my chops back... they truly wanted me to play with them. Well... all we've really done since then is practice on Sunday afternoons and Monday evenings. We've played a handful of paying private parties for friends and friends of friends, and we've had four paying bar gigs thus far. Not much to hang our hats on; however, we do have a song list that now tops 80 rock classics from the 60s and 70s, and music-wise... we're tighter than a spandex thong on Oprah!...

...trouble is... and I'm being brutally honest here... we could replace our singer with a goat (there does exist another thread here on TB where I've posted a similar comment...), and I'm certain we would sound a whole lot better. What compounds the problem is the fact that the guitar guy and singer are good friends... and the guitar player is very good, I like him a lot, and his wife and mine are becoming good friends.

...so, having been around the block a few times, I had taken stock of my personal situation with these guys several months ago. Not only is the singer best suited for a karaoke bar, but our drummer is a self-taught, 'bedroom' kinda guy. He can keep a fairly steady beat, has a good idea of what needs to happen, but he has no formal training whatsoever... no theory, no serious chops, and this is the first band with whom he's ever played... also, he's had his drum kit for just a little of two years... damn fine set of double-bass, chrome Pearl drums...

...what I have here is a group of middle-aged guys, all with professional day jobs, myself included, who want to play some rock 'n roll. The difference is me... I'm way beyond these guys in professional experience, even though I took a couple of decades off, I'm still on a higher level than they are, and they know it.

Like I had said, since I took stock of my situation with these guys, I decided to make myself available. I've always known that a good bass player can find a band... any kind of band... all I needed to do was take the Palladin approach: get the word out that I had a bass, and I would travel. Just this past January I got hooked-up with a group of guys: singer, guitar, sax and drummer. Their bassist had to quit due to health problems. I auditioned with the singer and guitar guy, played four songs with them, and they offered me the job right on the spot!

Here's the difference with these guys as opposed to my original guys... the guitarist and singer can SING!... they sound like angels... perfect harmony... damn-near brings me to tears! The sax guy is an old hired gun who has been around the block longer than me... the dude can blow! The drummer is a metronome... with chops! Their style of music is far more varied: rock, blues, oldies, country, rock/jazz-fusion, reggae... and, of course Hawaiian. However, here comes the really good part... these guys have been a working band for over a year now, and we are all very close in age. We are booked 2 - 4 nights per week on average thus far... although, as I post this, it is a Saturday night, and we aren't playing, but that's just the way things got scheduled, and it's okay, 'cuz I got to take my wife out for a nice Japanese-food dinner, and it was excellent...

...so, please forgive me for such a long-ass diatribe, but I think I made my point. I will continue 'rehearsing' with my original group of guys, which I've become to call my 'work-in-progress' band. I sincerely love playing with the guitar guy, 'cuz he takes his instrument very seriously. One can see that he works at it regularly... after all, his day job..... he's a dentist. He seems to take a scientific approach to learning his musical craft... and it shows at every practice session. The drummer tries... he really does... but he has a ways to go. Our singer... well... a goat still looks pretty good to me... :meh: ...it just isn't going to be me to take the wind out of his sails... at least not at this point. It's obvious to me that they are simply having fun getting together on Sundays and playing together... and I do, too. I'm just grateful to have been accepted by my other band, 'cuz they are all old pros like me, and I'm pretty damn happy now... :bassist:

I apologize once again for taking up all this space... just got inspired to equivocate just a bit... ;)

9. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Have you suggested that they take formal lessons? I'm sure they are capable of becoming better.

10. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yes, indeed I have. I've suggested the drummer take some lessons. I know he can afford them, but it hasn't set-in, if you know what I mean. He made some coin in the NFL back in the mid-late '80s as an o-lineman. His day job is acutally an evening shift as a guard supervisor in our state prison system. He spends a lot of his off-duty time, which is during the day, at the gym working on his rather huge physique. I once said during a practice session that he might want to consider cutting his workout time in half and taking in a drum lesson once in awhile... As far as our singer... bahhahhh... bahhahhh... :D

11. Go for it man...nothing wrong being in more than one good band...

I started a band with a couple mates at college 6 years ago for a bit of fun...we're still at it, actually got a regular gig last month which is going to end soon (our singers an Elvis tribute, and he's got a season in Cyprus lined up) - the bands not quite his top priority, and it's not mine really - but its a bit of fun and it keeps me playing between proper bands - the singer in that band once helped out on drums in my other (serious) band, and it worked out quite well (like me...he can play a basic thing decently on practically any instrument you give him)

I told them about my other band, and they were fine with it. Both of them being part-time-one-practice-a-week affairs anyway...don't know how it'd work to a full time band. As long as you let the others know if you get into another bands and your priorities may change when your other bands got gigs then there shouldn't be a problem:cool:

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    yep, I got found out and fired. No great loss though, I had one foot out the door anyway.

13. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    fired! lol....well, I never said I would play with them and only them. Who says I can't do both?

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes - but it was after I had said in a band meeting "you guys understand, now, that unless you change your mind on this 'we will play-out no more than once-a-month, except in inclement-weather months, in which we won't play at all' thing, you are going to loose your bassist. You do understand this, now - right?".

I don't feel I'm good-enough yet to be in more than one band. I have to actually learn and memorize songs, still. I think in a couple more years I'll be able to either memorize songs better, or be able to improvise and 'feel a key' well-enough to reasonably wing-it through a setlist enough to be in two or more bands.

Joe

15. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i was searching for a side project a few months ago. nothing panned out with it though.

16. I'm always in two or three bands. If you want to gig most weekends you kinda gotta have more than one basket for your eggs.

All the best players I know have more than one project going.
    I also get sub jobs so sometimes I've played in 4 or 5 bands in a single month.
    The downside (or upside depending on your outlook) is you have to learn a boatload of tunes all the time.

I'm always checking the add's, you never know when the stones might be looking for that new bassist :)

So I'd say go for it.

17. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Yeah, I was SO disappointed when they didn't call me to replace Bill Wyman. :( And then an even better gig opened up! (RIP, John Entwistle. :crying:) AND THEY DIDN'T OFFER ME THAT ONE, EITHER! :mad:

18. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Definitely... You never know what's out there waiting... Maybe the 'Two Band Shuffle' is what you need. I like to keep two somewhat diverse bands going at the same time... If not totally stylistically different, then at least different tunes... Keeps me sharp!

-robert

19. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    This is why I like playing in churches. I play in three churches (all different styles of worship), do some jazz with some old college buddies, and then I've got my "main" project. Everything except my main band has a very regular once or twice a week schedule, so scheduling is a breeze!

20. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    auditioning is one of the best ways to see what else is out there, and even just to practice with other people... Nothing bad can come from this only good stuff. In fact, I am going to do this same thing in a week or so...