1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone try out the new NordyMute string mute by Nordstrand?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by phishaholik, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Nordstrand Audio Unveils the NordyMute

It's pretty expensive for what it is, but I'd like to try one out. IME foam under the strings makes the tone progressively more muted as you move up the neck, which is the opposite of what I want, and the mute that clips over your strings mutes everything way too much. I really like the tone of foam in a bridge cover, but I don't like using covers.

I'd really like a mute that I can easily take on and off quickly, but mutes more like foam in the bridge cover.

Michael

merseymale likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Does it just push on?

3. It looks like it. They state that it pinches the strings, instead of pushing on them. Hopefully it doesn't pinch them too much like my current mute.

I have one of these and it mutes the strings like you have the side of your hand firmly pushing on the strings when you play.

Gruv Gear Fump Bridge-Side Dampener For 4 or 5 String Bass

It only works for palm muted picking for me, otherwise it just sounds like a tuned percussion instrument. That can be a cool sound to have, but doesn't work well for R&B.

Michael

PawleeP and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  4. But is it as good as this high tech bass string vibration dampener?

Sponge.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $40??? I like Carey, but a sponge is only $1!

sneha1965, ErikP.Bass, GregC and 3 others like this.
  6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Yeah, they area pretty pricey for what it is. Plus they get the free perpetual advert right on it.

I have two of the plastic, Frump mutes, cause I keep losing one of them. :cool: And it works pretty ok for my needs. But it does overly mute the strings for some tunes. I always have to slide it up just slightly off the G string or that string won't ring out at all. And it totally deadens the low B to just a thump, so I just pluck that string harder. For the more upright simualtion, I've found that, I know this is mostly wrong, but I scoop my EQ. Almost totally wide open bass/treble, no mids and with a hotter volume than usual. This lets the strings ring out in a very muted but upright-ish, thumpy tone, for me. I also use a very soft, mattress sample, piece of foam under the strings. Just that it has to stay in place cause sliding it out quickly does not wrong well. I do have a band in which I can use it like this all nite.

I thought I read in one ad that the Nordy Mute was adjustable but not sure how that would work. Maybe you can slide it up away from the strings some for a less, mutey tone?

When I do pull off the Frump for no muted tone, I just slide it onto my strap near my left shoulder, so I can grab it n slide it back onto the strings when I want it. I signed up to Nordstrand's site hoping maybe they'd offer like a 15% discount or something on the first purchase. I've had the Nordy Mute in the checkout cart for a few days, while I decide if I really need/want it. Guess the only way to know is buy n try one.

So,er, uh, let us know how YOU like it? Then I can decide. :smug:

JimmyM likes this.
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Just got mine (a walnut model). I love it. It gives me the nice old school mute sound I've always looked for, without messing up the tuning or intonation. Yeah $40 is pricey but it's worth it IMO.

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Got mine 3 days ago before a rehearsal, and I LOVE it. The adjustment is from how much you push it down on the strings. It’s a smart bit of engineering and doesn’t feel or look cheap (it better not) the “foam” is the thickest piece of neoprene rubber I’ve ever seen and the wood backing provides strength and... tension, I guess... as you push the strings deeper into the slits in the rubber, the tighter it pinches them- deeper muting.... moving it further from the bridge wasn’t as pleasing to my ears or playing, but I guess you could.

Sourcing that neoprene might be a chore in itself, making it even harder and wouldn’t look as good... I always liked the type of foam you’d find in pull out from equipment cases- open cell spongy and light... it didn’t mute as much as this unless you crammed a bunch in there and it was a hassle to get in and out, this slips right on...

Could you make the same thing or similar for $10? probably. Do I want to? Not really i’d Rather practice, ride my bike, have a nice dinner with my lady, get real work done, etc etc etc

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    I have one, it's a little tricky to get it where it needs to be on the G&L bridges, but so far I have gotten a really nice classic rock tone and a super sub bass tone with my ti flats.
    It's not as pretty as my pink furniture foam mute that I rough cut with scissors, but it can get you some seriously deep quick decay muting too if that's your thing.

ErnieD likes this.
  10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Yup I had to know...so my Walnut NordyMute arrived this week. At least for the $40 bucks, shipping is included in that cost. I wanted to compare it to my Fump and piece of foam that I cut myself.

Of course, it's new, I'm new to it so maybe with some use I can get a better grasp of the tone I'm wanting. To me, like the fump it kinda overly mutes the G and D string on my 19mm Carvin fretless. I like what it's doing to the other 3 strings well enough. I don't see yet how not sliding up and away from certain strings allows those to ring out more. I have to totally lift it off the D and G while just slightly touching them to allow the tone I'm wanting. Again, prolly a learning curve here so this is a early review.

I hoped to use this on my 17.5(?) spaced Ibby Portamento 5 too. It's a bit cumbersome to place it on that bass, guess I could custom order one but we'll see. It fits fine as designed on my 19mm Carvin. Again, still seems to overly mute the D and G, for me. I have D'Add Nylon Tapes on both those basses.
    So far, for me, I can lift and angle the NordyMute just slightly above and touching the D and G strings. This lets them ring out more,while still slightly muted like I do with my palm technique. koala.

So for tonite's gig, I have the 'cut out piece of foam' on the Portamento, it just works great for that bass. And I will spend more time with the NordyMute and see if I can get better with it. And I see where someone already sold a Walnut NordyMute in the classifieds here. :speechless:

11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone have opinions/experience on whether a 19mm model would work acceptably on something with 18mm or 20mm? My main three basses are 18mm, 19mm, and 20mm and it’d be nice if one of these could work on at least two of those basses!

Plutonium244 likes this.
  12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No, you have to specify spacing when you order.

sunbeast likes this.
  13. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dang- I figured the design would limit the ability to transfer between spacings, but hoped that wasn't the case. Unfortunately 1mm per string does equal a fairly wide discrepancy over 4 strings. I use all three basses equally and definitely can't afford a separate mute for each!

Plutonium244 likes this.
  14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yeah the notches are cut for each string spacing, so unfortunately you're stuck with one per bass

15. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    i am seriously thinking about selling custom cut sponge strips with custom cut slices of gaffer tape.. lmao

devnulljp likes this.
  16. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I ordered two of these, I hope they work out. Inconvenient that it's bass-specific; I ordered a 19mm for one of my main players, and 18mm for a five string I have. Really kinda need a 20mm too since I have yet another frequently played bass that has that vintage spacing, but I'll wait and see if the $80 I already spent is a value or a waste.

I do like mutes for certain things, I have a Fump but as many have said too much damper especially on the D and G strings. I have tried loosing the screw adjustment liberally and that helps... also , volume limits before the note becomes a thump... I can get pretty good muting on the A and E and maneuvering the Fump and pulling the arms apart to loosen it helps but it widens more at one and than the other that way... so I often place it with the wider, "mouth" end at the G string, which helps return some tonality to that string.

Hoping I like this mute, I had noticed that there wasn't really what I considered an "excellent" mute out there, home jobs can be hit-and-miss and are a pain-- and why should I have to make one of my own? Is this America or not? It's an unmet need IMO-- a quality adjustible mute. There's one other mute out there I've considered but it requires mounting it on the bass, and I don't really want to do that.

Here's hoping Nordymute hits the right notes and is a ringing success that they can sustain.

17. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    So I ordered one after posting my question above. I got a 20mm to fit my Lakland P, but unfortunately the intonation screws make it impossible to slide right up to the saddles. I do like the effect and am sort of able to use it on my 19mm basses as well (though you get a stronger muting action inherently there because there is some added lateral pressure with the different spacing). I actually added 4 more notches in between the 20mm ones set at the 19mm spacing rather than consider buying a second one and this works well (hard to explain, but the original notches are wider on one side to minimize the contact pressure/area of the sponge, so I'll have to fiddle a bit to try to recreate that on my new notches). Unfortunately I have a few basses where the bridge design or intonation screws make it difficult/impossible to slide the mute all the way against the saddles where it would be most useful for lighter muting. I'm considering tracking down some shorter intonation screws for the Lakland P at least because that bass sounds great with it...

18. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Received the 2 Nordymutes I ordered, so far, so good-- a marked improvement on the Fump I've been using, these mutes allow a little more ring, and the muting is proportionate across all strings. I like it.

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm definitely intrigued by this:

The BassMute - A smart muting device for Bass Players

It's a a bit more pricey than a sponge, but I like the clean, professional look and adjustability of it. Plus, I like being able to mute at the flip of a switch. It's not a "need" at this point, but I think I may eventually put one on my P-bass.

Danny C likes this.
  20. JES

JES Supporting Member

jd56hawk and Les Fret like this.