Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone try renting a Millenia yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Jul 18, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As many of you know, I like to try out a lot of gear (and end up owning most of it!), but being that I am located just West of the Styx, I don't normally get an opportunity to go to a store to check out the gear in person, and I am often left employing the "pay to play" theory (which is greatly to blame for all that gear in my basement! :p). Low Down Sound is my closest high end bass store (about an hour and 45 minutes), but that trip can be dangerous to my wallet, as well! ;)

So, after reading all the cool stuff about the Millenia gear (thanks for the GAS, oddio and lo-freq! ;)), I began looking into their gear on-line. It turns out that The Groove Shoppe will actually rent this gear. Now that is interesting. Renting high end bass (or studio) gear? Has anyone else heard of something like this? It seems like a good idea, but I would think that the proof would be in the pudding (what do they charge, how easy are they to work with, what is the product availability, etc.). I have been working with Joel from The Groove Shop on a custom MTD, so I do "know" them, and they have been great to work with so far. But I am interested in hearing from anyone who has actually taken them up on their rental offer for Millenia gear.

Here is a link to their offer:

Millenia Rental Offer

I would also be interested in hearing feedback from anyone who actually uses either the STT-1 or TD-1 in their bass rig. And yes, oddio, I'm always happy to hear more from your perspective! :D

Thanks, Tom.

2. Tom, you know I'll always take you up on an invitation like that. Having had the opportunity to actively gig with both pieces (STT-1 and TD-1) I can offer the following info...

If you're looking at Millenia gear (which you are :) ), I would suggest that the TD-1 is the ticket for a working bassist - at least IMHO.

When cost is no object the Origin more than satisfies. The unbelievable flexibility of it's "twin topology" combined with the extremely powerful EQ section and compressor/limiter justifies the high price tag, but it does miss a few useful tricks that the TD-1 can perform. The Origin offers a tube-only input buffer and the DI out is line-level only. The TD-1 offers a mic-level DI output and has the ability to switch the input buffer between SS to Tube modes and although there is a little less flexibility in the EQ section and no limiter, it is very workable for a bass instrument. Most bassists will not find a use for the TD-1's re-amp or "speaker soak" feature unless working in the studio with lower power amps.

The TD-1 is an excellent value considering the features it provides, and soundwise might be preferential to some ears due to the switchable input buffer. I would also suggest that the real strength in both of these pieces is most apparent with SS power. Both work fine with big tube power amps like the DB728, but as the DB728 has a "darker" tendency that is exactly what you'll get... not certain about the Demeter. Joel?

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If Prockenklang (John Prock) doesn't chime in, you might want to PM him.

Pretty sure he has both units.

I think emjazz might have a TD-1.

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I dig the TD-1 into the Demeter a lot - it's actually one of my favorite rigs. The Demeter iteself is not as dark sounding to my ears as the Aguilar and seems like a great fit for the TD-1 or the STT-1. You're right about SS mode - it really lets you hear your instrument.

I also like gigging with the TD-1 and the Demeter because the DI on the TD-1 sounds better than anything else that I've used and the fact that it's small and fairly light makes up for the weight of the Demeter power amp.

And through an Accugroove or two, it's a scary sounding combo. :bassist:

5. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I do own both a TD-1 and a STT-1! The input on the STT-1 is tube,but it can be routed to tube gain or solid state! If you go to www.mil-media.com you can see a chart that compares the features on both units.

In my rack I am using the TD-1 as my main DI and the STT-1 as my preamp.I have used the TD-1 as a stand alone preamp,and it was awesome,but doesn't have a tuner out that can be muted,and it doesn't have a master volume.I ended-up using a Lehle Dual A/B box with one side going to the TD-1 and the other side going to my Peterson Strobostomp.

John

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Tom, Tom, Tom...does it never end with you;)
    Don't rent one, you'll like it.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's what I am afraid of! :meh:

8. Hey Tom... maybe you should start renting out some of your gear???

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Dude, that is brilliant! You took my question, and turned it on its head to a logical conclusion! Nice!

Actually, I have already loaned out some gear, but all to worthy causes, such as Basstasters! :D

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm a worthy cause. I own and operate the Human Fund.....ever since George Costanza abandoned it.

[​IMG]

I'll PM you my shipping address. We'd like to start with your Epifani cabs. :)

-Mike

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Cute...

...but it ain't gunna work. :)

12. Quintheskimo

Quintheskimo Guest

Aug 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I was given a TD-1 (on loan) from my "friend" at a local shop. How fortunate I thought I was to be able to record with this unit for 2 weeks before having to give it back, until I realized his true, diabolically cunning, alterior motive :eyebrow: ; he knew I could never part with it once I had tasted the nectar of its sinful purity. I puchased it on the evening of the 14th day. Now, not only am I gripped with an incurable addiction to the TD-1, I now covet the STT-1, or even 2 (shriek! :eek: ) for all of my recording needs. Beware, dear Tom, for Millenia rentals are, truly, the dark and slippery paths to endulgence!

:bag:

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Sshhhhh....it's after midnight in Ohio. Maybe I can catch Tom half asleep and get him to commit to it. You think UPS does 1AM pick-ups in Ohio?? :)

-Mike

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, the big brown truck might not show up for that late of a delivery, but you could probably talk two guys and a van into stopping by! But why am I telling you this? :confused: :bag:

15. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I too live in the styx and use the buy it now method of trying new gear. Usually at 2 a.m. after reading reviews on talkbass. The plastic card falls out of the wallet and the dark path is presented before me!

16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Oh don't worry guys - it will be fine. Just rent one, use it for a few gigs, sessions and rehearals. You will have no trouble sending it back - I promise ;)

17. I must say that I can't remember anyone ever calling me brilliant. Or, if they did, I'm sure I was able to detect more than a faint hint of sarcasm in thier voice!!;)

However; the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and very well in me. (even though I am NOT Jewish.. with the last name of Israel... I'm sure I have some of those Jewish traits in my genepool!!) So, when an obvious opportunity presents itself I will usually follow up. And who knows... this could be the beginning of your ability to finally quit that part time "side-gig" and get into a "respectable" sort of profession. Yes, it could be a continual "dies non".:D

So, the way I see it, you should be able to lease any one of your "modest" assortment of gear items on a weekly basis for 10% of the (new) street price plus the applicable shipping and handling charges. Of course you would need to guard against "mens rea". In order to do this, you could have the leasor's credit card block off the total cost of the item without actually charging it to the card. Once the item is returned all safe, sound, and on time, you then charge only the actual agreed lease price for the item.

As a bonus, you will have less items cluttering, and able to show the spouse that it was NOT all bought in vain, and is now bringing in supplemental income, that can be used for other things around the house.... this may be "suggestio falsi" as more than likely any cash brought in will be turned into new gear!!

O.K. one last favorite latin saying...
    "fortes fortuna juvat"

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't own one but I've played through a TD-1. It was the first time and only time that I heard the sound that I hear in my head. It's my dream pre for sure. I can't justify the cost right now but I will definately own one as soon as I can.

Tom, don't bother renting one. Once you play through it you'll find you won't want to use most anything else you already have.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I must admit, I have been driving by commercial buildings for sale and wondering how much they are asking, and if I opened a bass shop, would anyone come... :p

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Finally! A voice of reason! :D