anyone try the fender yosemite P/J pickup set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pcake, Jul 9, 2019.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  2. wardak

wardak

Dec 3, 2001
    Deutschland
    I think there are various reviews on the other Yosemite pickups, the J’s and maybe the Fender basses that come with them. I think your question is about the P/J’s as an upgrade. I just installed a set into a Zone MIM P/J. They sound fantastic. I saw someone call them modern sounding, and I also saw a comment about “hi fi” here:
    Interview: Fender's Tim Shaw on the new American Performer Yosemite pickups

I think they sound well-balanced. “Modern” is good for me, and I am aware of how a P/J differs from a P even when the balance is set as all P—I usually have some J, or 50/50. Strong output in this application. If you only had one P/J... these pickups might be a good choice. I wouldn’t typically solo a P/J bridge pickup too often... it seems that a P/J set bridge J is there to add something to the P and I don’t expect it to be its own thing—and for me that perception continues here with this set too. I was tempted to try some Nord P/J’s and maybe some other ones, but after getting these, I am not currently motivated to switch these out to try others—they seem great.

The stock pickups were just OK to me (I have to tinker...), but the J bridge was a split of some kind. I kept the Zone active pre-amp in there. Some initial thoughts as I was checking out the parts before installing them: With the Yosemite set, I was going to a *not split* single coil bridge, and the poles for the J’s middle strings are not raised... all things being equal I would go for those features for the many reasons described elsewhere. After installing, no real concerns with those things so far.

Other pickups in basses I own, my comparative references here: EMG PJAX with EMG preamp (more I guess traditional, good fundamental and mid focus, not “modern” “hi fi” or “mid scooped”, and with some really old Roto’s on there, I think the sound heads in the direction of “dead strings” or “flats-like” sort of), another with Geezer P/J with EMG preamp (darker, slightly less output than my other basses, but just add a little gain/comp on the amp and they are great, I like those too, these come alive at higher volume). The Yosemite’s fit right in, give a different flavor of P/J with a touch of high end zing, sounded nice even without cranking the volume. Otherwise among the basses here for reference, a pair of J basses, one with SD Apollo’s and the other with some Nord SV’s—those both are brighter and maybe a little more hi-fi than the P/J’s, as J basses would tend to be. The Yosemite’s seem to be somewhere in the middle range of all of the above.

I’m playing around with different tunings, and I noticed that the Yosemite’s do pretty well when you tune down, DGCF in my case so far. I have some more strings on the way to mess around with C and BEAD tunings. The DR Pure Blues are my current faves. The stock pickups seemed less happy in lower tuning, so the Yosemites were a nice upgrade for that reason as well. I ended up about with what I was hoping for. It will be fun to dial these in.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Heavy Blue, JRA, pcake and 2 others like this.
  3. Hey guys, I'm currently thinking of buying these (gotta upgrade my PJ set, and these come at almost half the price than Geezers, which I originally wanted) - however, I can't seem to find the dimensions anywhere..? Not even fender website, which is kinda strange.
    If anybody who currently owns these had a mind to do a huge favor for a random fellow bassman, measure them and post it here.. Needless to say, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    did you ever decide what to do about these?

5. larrysb

larrysb

Mar 23, 2020
    $ilicon Valley
    FWIW, the P pickup is standard Fender size P in all dimensions. The J pickup is a "bridge" size. Some P-J basses have a neck size J pickup at the bridge position.

JRA and pcake like this.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a set that I pulled out of my Fender Performer P. P and J Yosemite as a set. PM me an offer if you want them. They were indeed modern-slanted sound. I replaced them with Aguilars.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  7. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I guess they are not as woody sounding as older style P basses
    But it is my first P bass and I fell in love with them....My gold standard
    I get all my fav P bass sounds out of them
    Funky

RumbleMan3 and pcake like this.
  8. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Sent you a PM

9. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    Earth
    I think the Yosemite's are similar to Schecter's USA Monstertone P/J pickups. Those sound great and have bigger pole pieces.

10. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    F
    FYI....Custom shop 62 is my favorite Precision pickup...No contest.
    I still like my Yosemite
    But CS62 is my ultimate