Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone try the new Gallien-Krueger "Backlines"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdr, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Checking out Musicians Friend I saw the new Gallien-Krueger "Backlines" amps. If you have played, let me know what you think. I'm looking for a good stage monitor. I'm running a Stingray 5 and MTD Kingston fretless through a Tech 21 sansamp DI then to PA and to my monitor (currently a Crate BX-50DLX.

2. I haven't tried them but search some of the old threads we talked a little about them a few weeks ago.

I do have a suggestion for a bass monitor

http://www.tech21nyc.com/

look up the bass power wedge 60

3. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check one out if I can find one. I see on their website that my local Mars carries them.

Any idea on price for the wedge?

4. The guitar version is available from Mars web site for 299. I would hope it would be close

5. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    This is Trip from GK. The 110 is cool. 112 is really cool. The 15 is OK. That's the truth.

6. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    The 15 is only "OK"? Please elaborate.

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    You should also mention your opinions on the cabs too trip.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    those backline combos are garbage. some of the worst stuff ive heard. id take a crate combo over any of that stuff.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    while i wouldn't be this extreme, i tried out a few of these yesterday at gc, and i was very very unimpressed. noisy, clanky with no bottom end, and i played my customs through them, so i know it wasn't the bass ;)

ymmv.

10. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from Gk here! Wow! That's some passionate responses. I DO think that the 110, 112 sound good. I really do. The 115 just isn't loud enough especially for the teen "garage bander." It would be fine for med. volume situations like churches.
    I was one. I had a Peavey TNT 100. The thirty-somethings and older like myself remember those. They were too big and WAY underpowered. The 410 backline cab has good low end, scooped mids and some 3-4K "slice" on the top end. I like that one. To tell the truth again, I haven't REALLY listened to the 115. I don't really have an opinon as of yet. I WILL get one though. I will bring all of your comments to the powers that be. I will iterate here that they are NOT GARBAGE. I must respectfully disagree. Please keep all of your comments coming! I really do like hearing them!

TRIPSTER

11. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Sorry for the confusing sentence structure. I whittled this thing off and left and lone statement. The "I was one" statement refers to playing in garage bands. Hey, we all did right? Sorry to confuse anyone. My fingers are going faster than my brain!:oops:

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i wasn't playing that loud. i'm pretty sure the combo i played was the 115. the low b just didn't cut it at all, it was very anemic sounding. the bass i played has a mm-style pickup, and i had it on the hum cancelling setting, and there was still alot of hum and noise coming through. the tweeter to my ears sounded very harsh. i keep the eq settings on basses and amps flat all the time when i'm trying out gear.

like i said, i wasn't amp shopping, so i didn't put the unit through its paces hard, i was just looking for something that i could play through to play a v-bass through.

furthermore, this was a guitar center, and many of the amps were not set up to play well, although i couldn't see how a combo could be suffering from setup error ;).

13. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    That line of gear is meant for kids. Really. Beginners. That's all. Pros like yourself looking for thunderous Low-B response need to look at pro gear. It's that simple. I really do love you guys and keep the responses coming!
    There is no tweeter in the Backline 115. Guitar Center is notorious for things being in disarray. They are the best of the corporate chains I think. They are easy to deal with from our end. But some of them are a bit like a Radio Shack during the Christmas season.

;)

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

yeah, i agree. the unit that i played i'm almost certain had a tweeter, so i'll research it. it might have been one of the rb combos. i thought it was a backline. there was something that looked like a tweeter at the upper left of the 15"

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, and i hear ya about the "for beginners" comment. i've actually recommended them a few times to guys looking for their first big rig.

16. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    A 700 or 1001rb. The tweeter would be in the upper right. The Low-B shouldn't be anemic at all. I have a Status Stealth II with a low B and also an Alembic straight 8 with low B. Those axes sport SLAMMING low Bs. I have used all of our combos all situations and at all volumes. The Bs have been both tight and SICK when I wanted them to be. Noise has been negligable. Always remember that I am a bass player and not just a desk person. Keep things coming!:cool:

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes: dyslexic am i. that's what i meant to say. upper right. that was what i was thinking. sorry.

i'm surprised about the low b performance on that one, to be honest, because i moved on over to one of the 800 heads that was plugged into a cab that looked the same as the combo, and it had a lot more bottom end response.

18. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    That is odd. The 800 should have LESS lows than a 700 or 1001. Here's the thing; I did visit the GC in Atlanta and Marietta. I did a training at GC Atlanta and I did a gear check and display check at GC Marietta. The gear should be hooked up right and in good condition. However, I recently went back to some GCs that I had been to before and found things in disarray. Our speakon cables were in a pile in the back for "inventory," and the gear was NOT hooked up right. You need to use a FOUR CONDUCTOR speakon to get the benefit of the woof,tweet thing with our gear. Most stuff is TWO CONDUCTOR. I'm would be suprised if it was GC Atlanta that you found these things to be wrong. That is one the of the better ones in country. GC Carle Place Long Island has one of the BEST bass rooms I have ever seen.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it was marietta, and what you're saying is very possible. a few of them weren't even hooked up properly.

20. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Not suprised. At all.