Anyone try the new Mike Dirnt P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gene Machine, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
  2. I'm not a fan of the 50's style P-basses.
  3. good to know. have you tried the dirnt p yet? i still haven't, but i will if i ever see one.

4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    First P bass in a long time that I've thought, "Hmmm, I might have one of those."

Depends on how fat that neck is, but I sure like the looks and the concept. It's like Fender took stock of all upgrades people were making to their RIs and Stings and then decided to do it for us.

the basically lazy anyhoo
  5. Hmm, that is kinda cool. What kind of pickups does it have?
  6. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Custom Shop '59 Precision Bass pickups
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm sorry, but the P pickups don't go well with the ameoba pickguard that well. Sorry. :meh:
  9. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    can't remember where i seen this info, but.... i'm sure it was at the fender website... anyways... pretty sure the Mike Dirnt P-Bass has a slighter narrower than P-Bass neck...

Body: Ash ('51 Style Slab Body but with '55 Style Arm Contour and Pickguard)

Neck: Maple, Thick C-Shape Modeled After Mike’s Original ’69 P Bass
    (Lite Tint Satin Polyurethane Finish)

Fingerboard: Rosewood
    No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.590

Hardware: Chrome
    Bridge: Bad Ass II® Top Load

Pickups: Custom Shop '59
    Precision Bass Pickup

Controls: Volume, Tone

Colors: 2-Tone Sunburst (303), Black (306), Vintage White (341)

Not Jazz narrow (1.5 or 1-1/2") but not quite P-Bass width (1.625 or 1-5/8")

I'd like to try one out.
  10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    no need to apologize, it is just your opinion.

11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm itchin' to try one!
  12. unfortunatly - imo - they are all MIM (as far as i know). but you can bet your ass i'll be all over oen of these when I see one!! :bassist:
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Hmm, I'll pass. The semi-51' P design isn't really my thing, I guess. Or perhaps it's the colour.
  14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

there's a picture on the cover of the latest ' Bass Player' , { march}
    Pino Palladino , holding what appears to be an original '50's fender p-bass ... wonder how the reissue { dirnt } sounds in comparison ? :meh:
    { is this a reissue bass ? }... :confused:
  15. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No. There's nothing about this bass that's reissue, with the possible exception of the pickguard, and I'm not even sure about this yet. The pickup is nominally a Custom-Shop '59 reissue, but presumably any Custom Shop pickup is in a different league from any stocker, past or present.

The neck is a configuration that's never existed before, an early Precision with a rosewood fingerboard, and the body is a configuration that has never been on a production Fender, either.

No, this is a new design bass, totally.
  16. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    And even if it is MIM, who cares? I mean, it has a Badass II bridge, the pickups must be decent and the choice of woods wont change... just make sure to check the quality of each particular bass as they might not be AS consistant as MIA's, but most of the MIA's I have looked at aren't all that great as far as quality control consistancy anyways so....

I'm with Jack on this one, if I like the feel of the neck and the pickups sound good I might just have to pick one up.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hopefully, it doesn't have an annoying artist signature logo on it. I'd hate to like this bass, buy it, and then scrape the guys sig off. 'Cause I really don't care for Green Day.

It looks good in that classic Fender way. Not too over done on looks. Sort of looks "Country-Western" y'know?
  18. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Right on all counts, but as far as I know, it's still going to have that pukey MIM polyester body finish instead of polyurethane. Don't know what it is, but I can tell that MIM paint at 100' every time. I also hope it doesn't have that washed-out clear polyurethane neck finish. Why Fender doesn't put $00.01 worth of toner in that polyurethane to get a nice, rich color, I'll never know.

I'm also not crazy about a toploader, but it will extend the number of different strings sets that will work (try stringing a Sting sometime!).

If Fender doesn't manage to screw this up, I think this may just be a huge seller. Everyone I know wants a look.
  19. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Thanks for pointing this out.