Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone try the Peavey TKO 150?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Mar 17, 2001.

1. I can only find info on the 115, the 150 is supposed to have 300 watts and whatever. I found a guy locally who will sell it for 250, with a black widow speaker, and he claim it has no scratches and has been checked my a tech every 6 months. I will definately try before I buy, but I just want some outside advice. THANKS

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Are you sure you're talking about a TKO. I thought the TKO was only like 100 watts, and I know it has a sheffield speaker, not a black widow. It sounds like what you described is a Peavey Combo 300.
    If that is what it is then I'd say buy it. Thats a fair price, and the Combo 300 can get some really great sounds. One of my friends has one and I almost like its sound better than my 700watt 4x10, 1x15.
    Another peavey amp you could look at is the Peavey TNT, it is similar to the TKO except that it has a black widow.
    Hope I was of some help,

3. I know that the TKO comes with a black widow, but they all dont. He is quite certain that it is a TKO 150, and has said many times it is 300 watts. I will check it out when I see it.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    ok

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is no such model.

There is the TKO 75 and the TKO 115, the TNT 115, 130 and 150, and the Combo 300, 210 and 115. If he is telling the truth it sounds like a Combo 115 or Combo 300.

The TKO comes with a no name speaker, a Sheffield or a Scorpion Plus. The TNTs come with no name, Sheffield or Black Widow. The Combo 300 and 115 come with the Black Widow, the Combo 210 has 2 10s, I'm not sure what kind.

The TKOs are 75 and 100 watts, the TNTs are 100, 130 and 150, and the Combo 300 is 300 watts at 2 ohms. It has a 4 ohm speaker and puts out 210 watts, if you hook up a a 4 ohm extension cab it puts out 300 watts.

6. OK thanks, I quess its a combo 300 then. Now out to look for reviews

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Even if it's not the Combo 300, and it is the TNT, or TKO, they are all good amps for $250. You could play a bar sized gig with any of those without problems.

Also I'll warn you now, some people are biased against peavey, so you might not want to believe EVERY thing they say in reviews. If I were you I would just try it out, and see how it sounds to YOU.

8. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I work in a music store and we recently got two big 1x15 peavy amps in. One is a TKO and the other is a Basic 115. Both have lots of wattage and a 15" and sound good, but I don't like them. I'm not biased against Peavy or anything, in actuality, I love everything I've played of theirs. The problem with these amps to me is that you don't get ANY highs. No click or anything like that which I think sounds killer for slapping. You get boatloads of lows and a very touchy volume knob, though. I use a 410 TX by Peavy now and I love it.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No highs on the TKO or Basic 115?

The Combo 115 and the TNT models with the Black Widow speakers solve this problem.

The Black Widow has a much better high frequency response than Peaveys cheaper 15s, the Scorpion Plus and Sheffield models.

Obviously, you will get more highs with a horn, but the TNTs and Combos sound pretty good.

10. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    That's what I like about my 410 is that it has a horn. Both of these amps sound pretty much the same. The TKO has Sheffield, I know, and the Basic 115 has a no-name. Neither sound BAD, but I just don't care for them. I had a Crate 1x15 (BX-80, 200 watt 1x15) that I sold when I got the 410 because the 1x15 has no highs. That's just the nature of the speaker due to it's size.