1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone tune a six EADGCF?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phatbass, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I was thinking of setting a 6 string up (new nut) to tune EADGCF or EADGBE. I was wondering if anyone's done the same thing. I'm NOT referring to the old '60's short scale sixers, by the way, but a modern, full scale, aircraft carrier size finger-board job.

I've got an Ibanez I really LOVE the sound of except for the weak B and am considering turning into a Bass with a higher range.

2. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Why not?

Although if it's 35" scale it may do funny things to the F

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've got a 7 string tuned BEADGCF. It's essentially the same thing without the low B.

It'd be worth it to try. But, depending on the kind of music you play, there is rarely much use for the high F, unless you're into soloing, chordal tunes, or using effects.

4. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    I did that with my Ibanez BTB once. I wanted to try the high F thing but I couldn't really handle playing that high. I'd say go for it and see what you think about it. Maybe it will work for you.

5. Well; now that you mention it...

All of the above (but, naturally, in the most tasteless lack of moderation possible).

6. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I have often wondered if I would like a 6 string tuned like a guitar (EADGBE) instead of in 1/4s. Some things would be simpler for me since I already know how to play that way.

'shoulder shrug'

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I personally don't have much use for anything higher than the C string on my 6ers. I can get some pretty high notes on the upper register of my C string.

Whatever floats your boat, though!

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I've tuned a 6er to E-A-D-G-B-E before. It's a lot of fun to play classical guitar music on a 6-string bass, just FYI :bassist:

9. I'm leaning towards EADGBE myself so I can use my store of guitar cliches.

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Actually, if it weren't for chords, I'd rather tune my guitar EADGCF so every pattern would be moveable.