1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tuning at 432hz?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lucianoxrp, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Standard is to tune to A = 440hz, but there are several voices saying that we should be tuning to 432hz as was done in the past, to sync all harmonics to the base earth frequency of 8hz.
    If anyone is doing it, have you felt any difference? Do you know availabe tuners in the market to tune at 432?

Please, be gentle ;)

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I just tune my "A" to 8hz like a bass should be, and let all you 432hz guys play 54 octaves higher in the treble registers.

zuma, eeLALlen, halversp and 32 others like this.
  3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Since the Earth's frequency is apparently 7.83 - 432 might be off a bit.

eeLALlen, rwkeating, Moose22 and 3 others like this.
  4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Most decent tuners will let you tune to whatever standard you want if you like being a PITA every time you play with other people.

5. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I have an old flute that's A=435. Can't be tuned up enough to play with a modern orchestra at 440 or higher. Really nice instrument, a great player, but useless.

john m, MattZilla and fretter like this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Not on purpose.

dannylectro, zuma, stevie p and 19 others like this.
  7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

8. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I know this is a thing nowadays but, no. I like playing in standard tuning. My band just learned a song by a band that tunes a quarter-tone down and it was a complete pain to play along with it. I either had to put up with the dissonance or tune down just to learn one song.

I'm not sure there's any real advantage to tuning this way that's worth the other issues that come up.

barrenelly, Ronzo, DrMole and 8 others like this.
  9. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
  10. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth

11. BooDoggie

BooDoggie Typical Dumb-ass with a degree

Mar 29, 2014
    The only time I ever use anything other than A 440 is when I transfer a song from an old recording that is on tape and find that it is a bit slow or faster than when it was recorded. I recently had to adjust my tuning to A 447.5 in order to match the pitch.

12. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    First, I would question how "Earth base frequency" is being measured. If it is an averaging, that's rather useless information. I question whether this can even be measured in the first place. The resonant frequency of the environment you are in changes dramatically by location and atmospheric conditions.

But let's assume the Earth frequency is the same all over the planet, and can be precisely measured. If you tune your E string to a divisor of that frequency, your harmonics will not be in tune with Earth harmonics, because we are not using pure intervals in our tuning system.

There will be notes in 440 tuning that are perfectly in tune with Earth harmonics, and notes in Earth tuning that clash horribly with Earth harmonics.

I think the overall goal is interesting, and encourage the experimentation. But as you read about 432, you will very quickly encounter very stupid conspiracy theories.

We know that any space or room we are in will have resonant frequencies. Ultimately I think this pursuit is musically self-defeating because if you succeed at it, the result is booming wolf tones and ringing monitors. One area in which the experimenting might be useful is with acoustic instruments. Most acoustic instruments are not tuned as they were in the old world, so the best base frequency for any acoustic instrument is going to be random. It is as likely to be 432 as 437 or any other number in that ballpark.

I get the desire to be "in tune with nature", however nature contains both chaos and order. I believe the 432 people are obsessed with Authority, and are seeking a cosmic or earthly order that does not exist as an Absolute.

13. I had to recalibrate my tuner to A=436 to match the tuner our guitarist is using.

Hammerfield, BooDoggie and yodedude2 like this.
  14. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Yes, otherwise Gaia's crying.

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Prior to the days of affordable and accurate tuners when bands mostly tuned to themselves, I probably did more often than I knew.

Outside of some early music ensembles I’ve been in that used period correct instruments however, I’ve pretty much stayed with A=440 tuning. And these days most times it’s with a little instrument specific sweetening added.

I’ve tried A=432 for awhile and didn’t notice it really changed things up all that much. Sounded better with some songs, and (not surprisingly) not as good as standard tuning on others. So to me it was more an exercise in satisfying my own curiosity rather than the epiphany some people experience while exploring it.

But maybe that’s because I listen to a lot of different music from different ages and parts of the world where our current Western tuning standards and music theory doesn’t hold sway. So my ears aren’t as locked into hearing things as being “correct” as they otherwise might be.

IMO everybody should give the A=432 thing a try and form their own opinion about it as well as some of the mumbo-jumbo and ‘woo!’ surrounding it.

I’d suggest checking it out if for no other reason than to expand your musical horizons. That’s always effort well spent. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  16. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Why tune so you can't play with a piano, or a harmonica? There is a drummer I know who always talks about this, probably just to be annoying

17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    No. Because it's BS.

18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    our drummer tunes his drums :cool:

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  19. Wouldn't a couple minutes with a hacksaw take care of that? Alternately, you could come play flute with my band... :D

20. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Not sure it matters.

Are you playing along with song when you perform?

jamro217 likes this.