Anyone Upgraded their Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooveguru, Oct 20, 2002.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I just purchased a late 95 or 96 model WT800 and Eden quoted me a price of $300.00 to bring it up to 2002 specs. Has anyone here done this? What all do they upgrade? I did notice a slight difference between the WT800 and my 2001 WT400. The WT800 seemed a little more muffled with the same settings as the WT400 after playing our 1st set the other night. Would swapping out the preamp tube make a difference? If so would you recommend getting a tube from Eden or buying one elsewhere and what is a good tube to replace my current one with? Also I'm running the WT800 bridged mono and noticed I got more volume turning the balance and crossover knob to the extreme left? Anyone know why? Help me fellow Eden players.
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the balance knob needs to be turned to the left but messing with the crossover knob doesnt do anything.

i just went through swapping tubes on my 800 and most of them sounded the same with the gt7025 sounding slightly different but it was very subtle.

i doubt upgrading it while get you any better tone but if it makes you feel better doing it than go for it. are there any eden dealers around you so you could a/b a newer one with yours?
  3. Groove Guru --

I work for an Eden dealer in the Minneapolis NW suburbs and recently talked to the tech guys about a similar issue concerning the preamp tube.

I had a customer using, I think a WT-300 that had cracked the or blown out his preamp tube. I called the tech guys from eden and asked if they prefered one brand to another, specific models. Basically they told me it doesn't make much difference. You might find that someone tells you differently, and yeah some tubes have more gain than others, but the inside guys at Eden said that any 12ax7 will do the job fine.

When I asked what they used, he said, "Whatever Tests Good!" So they don't seem to be too particular about that.

Also, the Eden 2x10 XST is "God in a 2x10."

4. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Thanks for the replies but has anyone had their amp upgraded? I'm curious as to what all is done.
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA

I recently picked up a '98 WT-400 that is pre-upgrade. I've used it around the house, at a gig, and at about 10 rehearsals where we record direct to CD and I haven't had any problems with noise. The DI is very quiet, there isn't any more hiss out of the speakers than from other amps I've used, and the fan only comes on when the amp is being pushed hard. The only thing I don't like about it is that the DI is post eq-only, though you can get Eden to install a pre/post switch for $75.

From what I've heard changing the tube makes very little difference in the tone. The manual refers to the tuner out as "post tube/pre-gain" which leads me to believe that it serves mainly as a first-stage input buffer.

I'm a little wary about spending $300 on a perfectly good amp that I just spent $500 to buy. If I ever need to send it to Eden for repairs maybe I'll get it upgraded but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
  6. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, I upgraded to an EBS Fafner! ;)
  7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I'm gonna tell my big brother Munji what you said.:D
  8. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Please do! In all fairness, I really liked my WT-300 and only made the move up because it was getting old and falling was the house amp at Famous Dave's way before I ever got it. I almost went ahead and got a new WT-400, but then the Fafner got in the way.

I believe Munji did say at one point that if he ever made the switch away from Eden, the Fafner would be his first choice...