Anyone use a 2x10 as a stand alone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Jun 22, 2003.

1. I'm looking at a Ernie Ball MM HD-210. I have a Carvin R600 head. Will this cab be alright as a stand alone or will I constantly searching for more low end? I platy a 4 string Jazz bass and play mostly classic rock and blues but have lately been jammin to newer hard rock.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what are your other bandmates using and running thru. how many watts? are they running solid state or all tube? have you tried anything else before? i'm thinking a pair of 2x10's might be better for you.

if money's tight, or you're a student check out you get an incredible value for what they offer, and what you might need. IMHO, its prolly the best value a person can shell out money for.
  3. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    As usual, it is hard to tell whether you'll be satisfied or not. Personally I have played with a rather cheapo 2x10 Warwick for quite a long time, and I actually thought that it worked quite well. The fact that you seem to play 4-string exclusively makes things much easier, because the low B on a 5-string is where single 2x10's are lacking the most. The Ernie Ball MM HD-210 handles 350 watts RMS, so an Amplifier up to 700 watts would be appropriate. Go ahead and try for yourself, but if you bandmates play at somewhat reasonable levels, you should be just fine! :cool:

4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    If you play low level lounges most of the time you should be fine. Classic rock, etc. will probably lead you searching for more volume. As soon as a guitarist hits his overdrive pedal, you might get buried in the mix. I'd be hesitant to rely on a single 2x10 all the time. I think a 2x12 or something comparable would be a safer choice. Then, if you ever need greater volume and projection, you have it in reserve.
  5. I never dreamed a 2-10 cab could possibly dish out enough articulate sound to cover my requirements (i.e. Zeppelin to country), that is, until I discovered the Eden 210XLT. Many Eden users have remarked that the 210 kicks out as much as their 410 model. Whatever the case, I rarely ever use another cab with fact, I'll probably putting up my Eden 1-18 XLT on the 'Bay very soon. Try everything you can and if you decide to go the 2-10 route do try the Eden, I think you'll be quite suprised.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't think you will be searching for more bottom, but as mentioned, you might need more *volume*... depending of course on how loud your bandmates get, the size of the clubs that you play, and whether your bass gets any reinforcement from the PA system.
  7. I guess in defense of 2 10's not being loud enough, I saw this blues band about 6 months ago where the bass player was playing thru 2 EA 1x10 cabs with a portabass 250. He cut thru nicely and had a good low end. I was just hoping to be able to do the same with added power and a slightly less expensive 2x10 cab.
  8. Save your money for a bit and get an Acme Low B-2 and a power amp. You will have BIG BOTTOM for days! You could use your existing head but volume would become an issue.

I run a Low B-4 and it completely destroys my previous 2x10, 118 set-up in tone and portability AND it fits in the back seat of a Ford Focus!!!
  9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I think that the 2x10 wouldn't be enough...
    I don't really think you should get another 2x10, but a 1x15 instead... If you wanted to get a 4x10 later, you would have the 1x15 also...
    The 1x15's produce a ton of low end stuff man...
    So I think that it also depends on your wattage, and your price range... has good prices...
  10. The size of your speaker isn't all that important. Two 10'' speakers have a surface area of 20'' which is more then an 18''. If they're properly built (voice coils, magnets, etc...), and housed in a properly tuned enclosure, they can move more air then the 18''.

My Acme Low-B 4 (as stated above) kicks the tar out of my previous set-up with 2x10's and 118. It takes a lot of power to acheive this outcome though (i'm running 1400 watts). Don't expect this route to be all that cheap either.

A Low B-2 can be had new for $480 (cheaper used), and my Low B-4 ran me $749 with the cover. A decent power amp with 1000 watts or so can be had new starting around $500 (or less used). If you're looking for portability without sacrificing sound quality I would suggest this option to anybody.
  11. hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    My regular rig is a GK 400 RB and a Peavey 2x10 cabinet: used to use a JBL cabaret 15 but the 2x10 is a solid little cabinet, plenty light, and all kinds of kick to it:

bass is a Hoyt with a single bartolini mmc pickup run passive

we play R&B, funk, soul and jazz and it drives the band just fine: in a big room, I run a line into the board through our JBL Pa cabinets. plenty of sound for all size rooms
  12. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I'm over here from the DB side.

I play string bass most of the time but occasionally double on BG.

My only rig now is the Acme B-2 (2x10) with a QSC RMX power amp.

Earth-shattering low end with the Acme.

I'll go back now and talk with my pals about rosin.

13. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Unless I am really messed up in the head, an 18 has around 40% more volume than 2 10s.

To find the square inches of a circle:

10" = 5"*5"*3.14=78.5
    78.5*2(two speakers)= 157 inches

18" = 9*9*3.14=254 inches

I agree some 10s are louder than an 18, I was just clearing it up.

14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That is one of the most widely accepted pieces of marketing propaganda ever.

I play in loud bands. I own what is regarded as the best stand alone 2x10 - en Eden XLT. On it's own, it farts on the lower notes. I can eliminate the farting by winding off the bottom end but hey, If I wanted to sound like a banjo, I'd play a banjo.

If you play in a band that qualifies as even mildly loud, if you've got a drum kit to get over, most 2x10's work really well as an extension speaker but not too well on their own.
  15. Due to the nature of the original post I was being simplistic with my statements. I understand from a "volume" standpoint the 18'' is larger. I didn't feel the need to go into detail about t/s parameters, etc... (BTW, I don't know a whole lot about that particular subject in the first place;-).

Oh, and to the bloke from AU- An Acme Low B-2 blows away an Eden 210 XLT. I've A/B'd them side by side. I went ahead and got the Low B-4 for the sake of being "louder", even though the Eden's were well within my price range. The Acme sounded better across the board as well (no breaking up in the mid range like the Eden).

16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Allow me to clarify. I do agree that it is possible to engineer a cab that uses smaller speakers to move a lot of air. The trick is the relationship between the speakers frequency handling capabilities and the amount of speaker excursion. If you use enough small speakers, they eventually move enough air. That's how speakers like the Ampeg 8x10, the SWR Henry 8x8, and the Phl Jones 24x5 were born.

But chop a 8x10 in half and you lose a some of that benefit. Chop it down to 2x10's and well.... you're asking a lot from the poor little buggers.

Further, a pro-audio 10" will often have a resonant frequency upwards of 40Hz, usually closer to 50 or 60. An 18 is more likely to have a resonant frequency closer to 30 or 35Hz. Assuming SBB4 alignment, the box is tuned to whatever the speakers resonant frequency is (Fb). So if a box that's tuned to 50Hz is fed program material that contains frequencies lower than that, the speaker excursion easily moves beyong x-max and distortion results. Further, a vented cab has an aproximate 12dB roll-off below Fb. So it's understandable that a 2x10 tuned to 50Hz will struggle with bottom end. a 15 or an 18 will usually be tuned much lower, as are the Hi-Fi low effieicncy cabs such as Acme.

Hope that clears it up.
  17. headroom:)
  18. fifteens arent the best choice, IMHO.

tens are a lot clearer, crisper, and they have better response.

just because its a fifteen doesnt mean it has nice range. an eden 2x10xlt will beat out a lot of 15's.
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yeah I agree. I've just returned to using a 15 after years of using only 10's and it makes me wonder why I stoped using it in the first place. Together with a 2x10 (or 4x10 for the reduculously loud gigs), it's a beautiful combination.

There's seems to be a bit of natural frequency filtering happening with this combination. For example, play through the 2x10 only and adjust the sound till it's nice and warm. Now without changing anything, add the 15. What happens? There's too much bottom end. So to get it back to where you like it, you roll off some lows. Suddenly your 2x10 isn't being fed as much low frequencies and can therefore be pushed much harder.

Am I making sense?
  20. I already have an Avatar 4x10 but thanks for the advise for those who recommended Avatar! The only reason I'm asking this questions is to determine whether I should take my 4x10 with me on the ship when I deploy with the navy or maybe get the EBMM 210 to save space on the ship. Although the cab is probably as heavy as my B410 it can be placed in smaller spaces which is a premium aboard any navy vessel!