1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone use a 4x10 + 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Does this setup work well? Or does the 2x10 take most of the power?

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    What do you mean, does the 2x10 take most of the power?

If you are running a mono head, the 4x10 will be louder, but the power would be distributed evenly. I find setups like 2x10/2x12 or 4x10/2x10 are better suited for amps with two channels for the power section. I run 500 watts to my 210 and 250 watts to each of my 112s. I run the power amp gain to my 12s at full on, and the 210 power amp gain at 2/3s. Works great this way.

BChamorro: Do yourself a favor and fill out your profile. This way if folks want to know what kind of basses, amps, cabs, etc. you are using to help them answer your questions better, all they have to do is look at your profile.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It works beautifully! (Nemisis 410 and Eden 210XLT)

If they're both the same impedance, the cabs will split the power 50/50. In my case that's perfect because the 210 and the 410 have the same rated efficiency and therefore produce the same SPL. They blend nicely together. But it does mean the individual 10's in the 210 cab each receives more power than those in the 410, but that's not an issue for my setup.

If you want each 10 to receive equal power, make the impedance of the 210 double that of the 410. This can create a complicated web of impedance calcs, but it CAN be done.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Petebass is right about the impedence thing, I didn't think about that. Let's say for an example a two-channel power amp puts out 300@8 ohms and 600@4 ohms.

the 210 is@8 and gets 150 watts a speaker
    the 410 is@4 and gets 150 watts a speaker

Realistically, a lot of heads are mono power section and it would result in a 2 ohm load on the amp. My brain can't really figure out right now if at 2.67 ohms in a mono head power would still be evenly distributed. I don't think so though.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed. And if your amp has a 4 Ohm minimum, it can still be done by aiming for a final impedance of 5.3 ohms (i.e. 16ohm 2x10 + 8 Ohm 4x10). If then becomes a question of whether or not the cabs you want come in the impedances needed.

6. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    I had a Ampeg PRO 410 HLF tweeter off at 600 watts on the bottom and a 210 cab loaded with 2 emenence deltas at 700 watts at 4 ohms pushed by a SVT PRO 4 in stereo.

Major Sound !

7. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I am currently running that set up and it is wonderful. Having the convience to take the 2x10 to small gigs and practices, the 4x10 to mid sized venues and both for everything else is great. I am running the 4x10 at 2ohms and the 2x10 at 4ohms both using madison knight speakers rated at 250 watts rms. My power amp EP2500 puts 1200 watts at 2ohms and 700 at 4 ohms. As stated above this might be a little more difficult if using a single channel head. Best part of it is I can get all of it in my 2 door grand am.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

With a mono signal, the 4 ohm cab would get twice as much power as the 8 ohm cab.

9. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Right, that's why I originally got confused by Petebass's post, as I was thinking in terms of a mono signal. Thanks,

-David

10. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    You've had a lot of posts on this 6x10 topic lately!

As I stated in one of the other ones...I feel this is a really handy configuration.

I agree: