1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use a Art Tube MP/C Tube Preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I have a homemade custom amp and cab, although I have treble, mid, and bass settings I find myself wanting a bit more of a depth of sound. My search began looking for an EQ, then a DI with EQ, then tube preamps, etc. After searching I came across the Art Tube MP series, I have seen bass players use them and thought it would be a good addition to my sound.

s-l500.

LINK: ART Tube MP/C (Tube Preamp / Compressor) | eBay

As of right now I am liking the Art Tube MP series with compression, and I am a fan of compression.Was curious as to if anyone has experience with it?

I came to the conclusion if I were to add anything to my rig that it would be to compliment it, not change it.

I have also though about going more traditional like most bass players and getting something along the lines of an Aguilar Tone Hammer DI and Aguilar TLC. Just wanting something different and simple.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    I've used the regular MP for both recording and rehearsals before. I liked the way it sounded. Especially for the $50 I paid for mine. It varied whether I used it with my Boss Bass EQ before it or not. I even recorded one of my old band's songs with just that straight into my interface with the gain dimed to get the distortion from it. I'll see if I can find a clip.

Gord_oh likes this.
  3. lerxst_x

lerxst_x

Feb 8, 2013
    Haslet, TX
    I just recently got one of those, I've only gigged with it once, but I like it so far, the compressor is very easy to dial in.

Gord_oh likes this.
  4. Art Tube MP (mic pre) series are well designed and very affordable Mic preamp and sound great on all sorts of inputs as well as bass. Don't expect la lot of tube grunt but a bit of warmth and compression might just do the trick for you.

I have several of these about the PA and studio, a TPS II for a stereo pair of condenser mics, another used with an old ribbon Mic and several used for DI for keys and acoustic guitar. My wife uses one for the micro condenser for her sax and clarinets.

Gord_oh likes this.
  5. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    From what I have read online, it seems that people quickly change the tube to something other than what comes in it. Are you running stock tubes?

6. lerxst_x

lerxst_x

Feb 8, 2013
    Haslet, TX
    Stock right now, have considered getting a JJ or something like that. Can't really justify a $40 NOS tube.

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

I've only recently started in that field and I have the regular MP on my board. Pretty amazing little gadget, big bang for a few $.

8. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I am liking the idea of this more and more. Does the gain work like a drive pedal would? I'm thinking I could knock out a few pedals by plugging this in. Maybe add a decent EQ and call it good.

9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Personally I use a Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic 100 tube mic pre amp at the end of my chain when recording right before going into my audio interface for just about everything I record, including bass. (I don't use it for regular playing though like band rehearsals and gigs where I use my Trace Elliot).

I know it isn't the best tube pre amp around, but it is the cheapest, and sound quite fine to me.

Actually does add a slight bit of tube warmth and grit, and if I want I can get a nice old records kind of vintage light overdrive sound on my vocals if I crank the gain.

I think your Art tube mic pre amp could work fine as pre amp for your bass, although personally I would probably get a dedicated bass pre amp for more options sound wise.

If your budget is an issue maybe try out the Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21, which I heard lot of nice things about and should be one of the better Behringer products, and which is a clone of the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI, then place the Art tube pre amp after it before going into the amp, if you insist of adding a tube tone.

Be aware it wont sound like a tube amp though, as this is pre amp tubes and the sound of a tube amp comes from both the pre amp tubes and power amp tubes (pre amp overdrive is a bit more fizzy and thin compared to overdriving the power amp stage).

The gain knob doesn't quite act like a regular overdrive pedal, but cranked, with the volume further down to match the level you want, it will get into overdrive territory.

The gain controls the amount of input fed to the tubes, and will make them go into overdrive at a certain point after which the amount of overdrive will increase as you crank the gain further.

The level knob controls the overall output.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Gord_oh likes this.
  10. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I had a Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI and I loved it. Didn't know Behringer made such a model. I could add a overdrive and EQ to do the same thing though? I wouldn't rule out Behringer all together, just haven't had good luck with them in the past.

Basically I want preamp, DI, and EQ added to my setup. So the Art Tube MP and a good EQ would do that. Either a several band EQ like a Boss or MXR, or something along the lines of a DI with EQ.

11. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    If you want graphic EQ I can only recommend the MXR 108 10 band EQ, or else you could get a bit more expensive tube pre amp like Presonus Studio Channel including a 3 band parametric EQ with adjustable mid frequency and compressor.

It would also give you a lot more options regarding adjusting the compressor to your likings, and the overall quality of the tube pre amp part is a bit better than the Art I believe:

sc_m.
    It'll cost you a little more than the Art+MXR though. The Presonus goes for about 300$ new.

12. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for the recommendation, I didn't see that one in my search. They are a decent price used, so I might look into it. Do you have any experience with one?

13. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I owned and used one once.

Only used it for recordings though, and didn't record much in the period of time I owned it.

But as far as I remember it did really sound quite good.

It's been a while though, and as I said I never really got to use it much back then, so can't remember exactly how much difference it made from the Behringer I own now, beside obviously the option of being able to adjust compression of EQ, which I use VST's for now.

You could try looking up some reviews before you decide though.

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Presonus Studio Studio Channel Preamp

Funny your brought this up. There are several non-compressor components (i.e. tube emulators or real tube) that have "baked-in" compression. Some that came to mind are the SansAmp BDDI, EBS MultiDrive (currently on my pedalboard), and Butler Blue Tube

Riis

Gord_oh likes this.
  15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the MP/C, but have only used it for vocals. If you don't need the compressor, the Art Tube MP might be a better choice. You still get preamp + DI, but at a much lower cost.

I also have the MP and have used it very successfully for, well everything ;) Bass, vocals, guitar, and sax. It also doesn't have EQ but other than that is the Swiss army knife of preamps.

Gord_oh likes this.
  16. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I like having compression, so that's why the MP/C was so appealing. I have gone through several compression pedals and haven't fallen in love yet.

@Zooberwerx are you saying some pedals compress without being called a compression of having a threshold control, like the BDDI?

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep. The Tech 21 guys have addressed it here on TB in the past. The EBS's TubeSim mode "activates the second tube simulator giving higher compression, less attack, and tube-like sounds". I've been toying around in conjunction with a Seymour Duncan compressor. Example: they two sound great together but, with the MultiDrive solo'd, compression is still evident but with a more open top-end. It's all part of the design and certainly worthy of investigation on your part.

Riis

Gord_oh likes this.
  18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I wonder if ART will up their game on USB. I have the phono pre MP and it's fantastic, an amazing value. Was going to get a tube MP w/usb, but decided to hold since most of the other similar USB devices have gone to USB 2 and better A2D conversion.

Gord_oh likes this.
  19. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Just ordered my ART MP/C! Sold some pedals and took the opportunity before money went elsewhere. I'll give it a once over and see.
    Trying it with the stock tube, but have my eye on a EHX Mullard 12AX7.

BadExample likes this.
  20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Looking forward to hearing how you like it Gordy! Sever in amp forum have mentioned one version or another and said they sound really good. From what they said and my experience with the similar but tubeless phono preamp, I think you'll dig it!