1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use a bass tremolo?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dwagner, Feb 23, 2013.

1. I want to put one on my VM Jazz.

Anyone use a tremolo system? Suggestions?

Do you think Guitar Center could install one for me or will I have to go somewhere else for that?

2. Lord_Of_Funk

Lord_Of_Funk

Mar 9, 2012
    I have a Kahler on my Jazz bass. I like it, it's a quality product and it does what it is supposed to do.

GC will most probably install it for you if you ask, if you don't think you can do it yourself. I've heard stories of people putting them on poorly and then not being able to keep a tuning, so that may be the way to go.

3. Yeah, that was basically my concern... I have no routing equipment at home either.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Find a real luthier, GC doesn't have those.

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    GC will likely not do it correctly. I refuse to suggest that anyone even gets a basic setup there.

Take it to a real luthier, or if you are very confident with a router, do it yourself.

6. Any suggestions on where I'll find a "real luthier"?

I live in ND, so things might get tricky... I'd be willing to make the trip to SD or Minnesota to a Guitar Center for something, since I trust them and am comfortable doing business with them, but I don't know any good luthiers in the neighborhood.

7. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    If the trem comes with a good routing template any good cabinet maker should be able to handle the job. You want an old guy who makes beautiful stuff. He'll know how to treat the bass. You may need to remove the strings and pickguard/control plate. And, of course, set it up when he's done.

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Cabinet makers would do a fine job as well with a routing template.

Search the web for some professional custom guitar/bass builders that are located around you. See if any of their instrument builds have tremolos before calling them.

9. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    you all probably should not generalize about Guitar Center Techs. My friend is a tech at a GC yet went to school to be a luthier and builds his own guitars, cabs and electronics. he does amazing general set-ups as well. Its a case by case, just because YOUR local GC tech sux does not mean they all do. the OP should go to his local store and feel out the tech's ability and not judge them because they happen to work for a corporation at the time.

10. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    I would go to a "real" guitar shop.

GC is cool and all, and they can sometimes set up a guitar correctly, but my money is on a luthier. Keep in mind that a lot of times the "setup guy" at GC is simply a guitarist that was working in the guitar department and not necessarily a qualified luthier type. By qualified I mean years experienced with modding guitars and basses on a regular basis. Take it to a pro and you'll be glad you did.

As for Kahlers, I really like them. They are really smooth feeling because of the way things pivot on a roller verses the standard "knife edge". Kahlers are sweet and probably my favorite bridge.

Have fun.

11. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Ask at your nearest mom & pop guitar shop. A lot of them have a local luthier on call for more complicated repairs and such.

12. this is your answer >>http://basstremfanatics.forumotion.net/

13. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN