Anyone use a Boss OD-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 30, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for an oversrive pedal to dirty up the sound of my Fender bassman 135 (100watt all tube) head, and was looking at the Boss OD-3.....I would love to hear what all you guys think of this pedal
  2. sounds terrible i tried one out and it wasnt very noticeable or least for bass.
  3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    bump for more opinions on the OD-3, I have read on TGP that it retains the lows.
  4. I have one, the trick is just getting the settings right, isn't the best thing out there, but a good start, the hard part I found was getting a good clean level, then getting an equally as dominant distorted level, or visa versa
  5. BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    Skip the ODB-3 and get a Fulltone Bassdrive. Way more natural and usable distortion.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I use the Boss. I agree that it's sensitive to settings, but I do like the sound. Previously I was using a fuzz, but that resulted in near-total loss of note definition...not what I was looking for. With the blend control on the Boss, you have much better control of the note definition, so it's easier to hear the bass in the mix. I would agree that it lets the lows through and maintains a very consistent sound in that regard.
  7. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I have a Boss OD-3 and when I can get the knobs right I really like the sound. It definitely retains the bass if you have the blend set appropriately.

Sometimes the slightest tweak on the Overdrive or Level will give me nasty feedback. It seems that to fix it I turn the levels all the way down and then back to where they were to begin with.
  8. BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    I do like the blend control on the ODB-3. But the distortion section itself IMO is just un-pleasant and un-tube-like. If i still had one I would try and mod the distortion section to get it to be more usable.
  9. profdannyspit

Jun 12, 2008
    I don't have an od-3 but I have the odb-3 which I assume retains the lows better. Any overdrive or distortion pedal kinda loses the lows but I combined my odb-3 with the GEB-7 and now it sounds awesome. Those two pedals are a match made in heaven.
  10. The OD-3 doesn't have a blend, and is worthless on bass...

The ODB-3 is probably what you're thinking about... Sounds okay-ish, but I'd recommend the Ashdown OD pedal over the Boss if you're looking for a cheap "avaliable everywhere" overdrive.
  11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    +1. I was just talking the other day about how hard it is to get the setting right for a live performance! That's why I haven't used mine with my band and I've had it for almost a year. I piddle around with it at home sometimes, but I'd go for an analog fuzz pedal if you want something more consistent. Esp. since you have a tube head. Something that doesn't require a volume/gain setting (like the Boss does), that way you get clean channel when you're not using it, but when you click the foot-switch, the volume stays consistent and all you have to think about is how intense you want the overdrive.

The only reason I won't sell it is because my girlfriend got it for my birthday last year and I'd feel bad if she found out. :bag:
  12. Pilgrim

You're right! I have the ODB-3, and I like it. I tried the OD-3 and was thin sounding....sorry for confusing the models - I was working from memory.
  13. EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Well everyone has their own opinion on this pedal, personally i love it. MY best advice, get to a shop and try one out. I think its a great pedal and it sounds meaty when stacked with another drive unit like a fuzz!

14. Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    When it comes to cheap OD the Digitech Bad Monkey seems to own the boss stuff, IME.
  15. rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    I hope you mean the ODB-3 if not forget the OD-3

Try the ODB-3

This would surprise a lot of people but I actually love this pedal for low gain settings.

I leave it on all the time with the blend about 90% clean. The blend on this pedal is extremely helpful and the eq pumps in more than enough lows.

I certainly agree that with the blend turned up too dirty this pedal is harsh and undesirable, but if you want a low gain overdrive with a lot of tone preservation this pedal is great. I love it.

If you're looking for this pedal to dirty your signal up a bit this pedal is perfect and finding it in a store to try is simple, boss pedals are very common in stores.
  16. jmac85

Mar 22, 2008
    Duluth, MN
    I love my Boss ODB-3. I agree with comments above that its VERY sensitive to settings. However if you take your time, you can get some GREAT results. It sounds especially good with a fifteen without a tweeter as opposed to a 410 with a tweeter however you can still get good sounds.

You definitely DON'T get tube sounding overdrive. But if you use the wet/dry knob right, you get some very nice usable overdriven sounds out of the pedal.
  17. rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    +1 without a tweeter.
    Tweeters and distortion don't get along.
  18. Pilgrim

I agree - I play through a single 15 with no tweeter. ODB-3 workum just fine! :bassist:
  19. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I was talking about the OD-3, NOT the ODB-3. For those that say it sounds like garbage, what are you comparing it to?
  20. Where do you have the other knobs for your low-gain settings?