1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone use a Boss RC2 loop station pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dllive, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Hi guys,
    I bought an RC2 the other week and am loving it! Its great for jamming by yourself with. However, I did partly buy it so that just myself and the drummer could work out some ideas with - with myself looping a bassline, then overdubbing guitars on.

We tried this yesterday, but I couldnt get it looping exactly. It seemed fine for a few bars, then it starting going out of time with the drummer. Im sure its because I dont hit the pedal at exactly the right moment.

Ive since found another way to do it - which is to use one of the drum patterns, set the tempo and then loop the bass line. Setting the tempo activate the quantize feature which cleans up a messy loop so that it loops seemlessly. This is fine when Im playing by myself, but doing this with a drummer is fairly intrusive.

Has anybody else found getting seemless loops that a drummer can lock into difficult? It looks like the quantize feature only gets activated when a tempo is set, but setting a tempo really intrudes on the 'spontaneity' of laying some grooves down - is there another way to achieve the same thing?
    Thanks

Curley Shadow likes this.
  2. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi,
    I have an RC-3 and have had no problem using it with a drummer. He cracked up when the bass kept on playing "What I got" by Sublime and I put my bass down and had a Beer as a joke, stayed locked in the whole time no problem.
    All you need to do is be in time with your drummer and hit the start and stop right on the beat.

3. It's really sort of a finesse thing that takes some practice and patience to get right. Neither of which I had, which is why I sold my RC2 and have since not owned another looper.

I'd recommend working with it and trying to get it down before selling it and getting an RC3. You might just need to flip through the manual to see if there's something you can do to quantanize the loops without the drum track. If I remember correctly, you can input a tempo on it, and have the drum track turned all of the way down, which should still make the loop quantanize to that tempo.

4. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    This is exactly what you have to do! Be patient!

5. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks guys.

999Brent: Im glad to hear people are still playing Sublime - in the UK they are very unknown. My drummer was also amazed when I looped a bass line and wondered off for a beer, and then he got really annoyed when I turned on the drum pattern and told him he was now redundant!! ;-p

wshines1892: Yes, I think you can tap a tempo in without needing the volume on the drum pattern turned up. However, this is difficult to do 'on the fly' because there is no nice interface to be able to do this (ie: a dial and a little screen displaying the bpm). Obviously this is understandable as Boss can only squeeze so many knobs on the device.

Mister_argentum: Yes, maybe I just need to practice a lot more with it. Keeping tempo without a drum pattern is not a strength of mine! Ill persist with this - I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something I had missed.

Cheers.