Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use a Dayton speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monkey, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I saw Dayton speakers mentioned in Arranger's thread, and I wonder if anyone has tried them. I live in Dayton, Ohio, and the Parts Express warehouse that sells them is close. They seem reasonably priced, but I don't know anyone who has tried them.

2. Several of the Dayton are listed in my spread sheet. A few of them are VERY interesting to me.

The #295-080 Pro Sound 15" driver is very appealing in SBB4. The group delay is pretty good for a vented 4-banger use, and acceptable/good for a 5-string. Tuning is 36 Hz, which is a tad high for a 5-string, but very usable. SBB4 cabinet volume is 4.3 cubic feet which is not overly large.

Response plot wise, this driver performs virtually identical to the Magnum 18LF, at half the price. It has a high BL, acceptable Qts, and good Le. I would expect this driver to be quite punchy.

If you tune the Dayton SBB4 to match that of the Magnum 18LF, there is no difference on the response plots.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

These ARE Eminence speakers made for P.E. and to their specs. We use the pro sound drivers in the PA cabs. Don't know about bass instrument applications though.