1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone use a foam mute on their Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassa Nova, Apr 5, 2018.

1. I have a Precision bass with flatwounds and a Jazz bass with pure nickel rounds.

I love the Jazz but was always looking for something slightly warmer and am still considering getting a Jazz with flats. However, I experimented using a foam mute by the bridge and it is pretty close to the perfect tone for me. It reduces the roundwound string noise and adds just enough decay-yet is still very articulate.

Anyway just wanted to see if others have had a similar experience with using a foam mute on a Jazz with rounds (or flats for that matter)?

Best IMG_4373.JPG

2. No, I use the original spring-mutes. And I pair those with LaBella flatwounds (0.045). Perfect sounding strings with or without mute. The spring-mutes are a bit more "musically", since they don't dampen so hard as a piece of weather-strip does. It eats a bit in the overtones, but not as much in the sustain.

SpiceMan68, Bassa Nova and GrapeBass like this.
  3. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    My FSR brotha! I use the dreaded (LOL) Daddario XL Half-Wounds which help (IMHO). I've tried to put a foam mute on and prefer it without (I do use foam on my fretless acoustic guitar-bass). I LOVE the organic woody tone from this Ash-bodied/Rosewood fretboard bass. So yeah, if you're against trying the half-wounds, flats are the way to go.

51418D9F-5242-4670-9E8E-FB96AF62C0CE.

Iofflight and Bassa Nova like this.
  4. Great looking FSR! Enjoy! I love mine. It was my first bass - bought new in 2008 (well matched two piece body). I have Labella Jamerson set on my P bass (talk about vintage vibe). The strings on the Jazz are Fender 7150 Pure Nickel. I like these strings as far as rounds go but the mute really takes it there for me. Someday I will grab another Jazz and string it with flats (maybe Fender 9050).

GrapeBass likes this.
  5. You might try GHS Pressurewounds on your Jazz. That's what I've been using for several years. They will warm it up even more than nickel rounds which I use on my G&L 2500.

I have used a foam mute on my PBass but not my Jazz Bass.

Bassa Nova likes this.
  6. Thanks. There seems to be a fair number of folks who swear by either pressurewounds or halfrounds. I will have to give them a try sometime.

soulman969 and GrapeBass like this.
  7. They do fit certain playing styles quite well and will also lower finger and fret noise. I especially appreciate them for fingerstyle on my Jazz Bass and I'm think pretty seriously about using them on my G&L too. I have a set of DR Pure Blues on it now.

8. Played more with the Jazz the other day. The tone with a mute is very warm, pure and focused. A very vintage tone in every setting that I have been looking for in the Jazz for some time. Flats would be great (for a second Jazz) but I am loving these nickel rounds with the mute.

GrapeBass likes this.