Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone use a GK 1001RB-II with a 1210 or 1212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras1983, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Anyone use this combination? i have been reading that the schroeder's arent power hungry, and that they have an excellent projection area, with a real presence to the sound.

But i want to know if the gk is more than capable of running them. i want to know because i will be picking up my gk in a month, and i want a cab that delives on all fronts for all forms of music (i'm looking to the future, i love playing all styles) ;) .

Can the schroeders keep up on stage, can they be felt as well as being heard, are they rally all that they are cracked up to be (with a gk 1001rb-ii)?
    i've read all the schroeder posts, but couldn't find a proper 'review' with the gk running them.

Thanks. :)

Edit: how do the schroeders compare to the average 410, or 810, or 2x15?

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi ras, I'll be able to tell you after Friday. Just got my 1210 today and will be using it with my 1001RB-II. Tried it today with my WalkAbout and that was VERY loud.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks tallboybass. please post all of your thoughts about its every detail. :) i will be especially interested to hear what you think of it in a band setting.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Nope, wouldn't know anything about it ;)
    [​IMG]

In a word, yes! The 1001RB-II is a fairly transparent amp that delivers a lot of punch. My Schroeder is a 1210 which has a pretty heavy low-mid hump, although the lows are pretty impressive as well. If I could do it over again, I probably would have purchased the 1212 instead, because it would most likely be a bit warmer. You should have no problem keeping up with a pretty loud band volume wise.

My Schroeder replaced an Avatar B410 and personally between the two, there is no contest IMO. The Schroeder is just as loud if not louder and delivers noticably more low end. I seriously doubt it could compete with an 8x10 or a 2x15, although I'm sure Jorg's 121012 or 410 could easily compete.

- Ugly.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks uglybassplayer, that's one hell of a set up you have. i didn't realise just how compact schroeder cabs were until i saw your GK sitting on top! :hyper:

i dont know if jorg ships internationally, but i have an aunty living in new york state just in case he doesn't. i will have to consider the schroeders VERY seriously now... especially compared to the price of gear sold locally.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Well, you know what they say... "It's not the size of your rig, it's how you use it!" :p

- Ugly.

7. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, I played two gigs yesterday. First one outdoors with the cab sitting on its feet on the ground. This thing ROARS! Sounded like a big stack behind me, but then you look around and there's this little amp sitting there that you could trip over. What everybody says is true. It's got a lot of low mids and the highs are subdued, even with the tweeter set in the middle. Just sounds big. Second gig was at a bar with a very low wood stage. I turned the cab on end with the 10 pointing up. Same results. Low mids for days and the tweet sounding like part of the rig, instead of a separate entity. I usually set up the GK with the boost almost all the way up for warmth, but had to ease up on that and dial in more contour to tame the mids. Everything else was very close to flat. This cab puts its signature sound on everything that you run through it, but it's a GOOD sound. About the least transparent cab I've ever had. I used a Warmoth Jazz bass and it growled all night.

-Alan

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hmm... a really interesting combination to put to thought. Usually Schroeders are driven by power amps big enough to run the FOH with :p

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I did a direct A/B' comparison with a GK 1001RB-II and an A.M.P. BH-420 (set at 12:00 with all other goodies turned off/basically flat) through my 1210. I found that the 420 was enough to fill any room with thick, warm, juicy, rock bass tone for days and days and days. It was loud as all get out and as fat as sausage dripped in syrup next to some greasy scrambled eggs for a hungover breakfast.

The GK was much tighter and faster but it was to the point where it felt too small-sounding for the cabinet. Not wattage-wise, but for overall girth of sound. Tweaking the contour knob up a bit more helped but it never really filled out the cab (or the room) like the beat but sweet 420 did.

When I got my fretless singlecut in I enjoyed the tone of the 420 but wanted a little more clarity so I brought in an iamp 350 with remarkable results (better still than the original white-faced Ashdown iamp 500 I tried it with). It didn't rival the 420 for thickness and fatness by any means, but it wasn't too squished like the GK was either. It was loud and fast and clean and certainly big enough (wattage- and tone-wise) to fill out the 1210. This was possibly my favorite rig of all time (seriously) and I hated to part with it but it was just way too much for the bedroom to which my wank-style is mostly confined (for better or worse).

Keep in mind that this is not a bash on GK at all... I recently picked up a 700RB that I thoroughly enjoyed with a Dr. Bass 210 cabinet and would have kept if I could. It was a rig that was more than loud enough for lots of settings with great tone considering the cost. I don't think the GK's are cut out for Schroeder 1210 cabs. I agree wholeheartedly with uglybassplayer in that a GK would be a more suitable pairing with a 1212 instead.

It's a misconception that these cabs need lots of watts. You'll do better with a 1210 than you will with almost any 410 with the same amp running it. Just because they can handle a lot of power doesn't mean they absolutely NEED it to be heard. They are very efficient cabs and they are the first I've come across that do beat out the pick two and only two of the three (loud, low, small) physics equation. I can't imagine needing more than Jorg's 121010 or 410 for anything considering how the 1210 I owned held it's own. I will have another Schroeder cab (or even cabinets) when finances and space allow. They aren't for everyone certainly (hey what is?!) but even most of the people who don't care for their tone remark on how much sound they put out for such a little box.

My only complaint with the 1210 (and it is my complaint with most cabinet manufacturers) was that it was carpeted. If it had some other kind of pet hair/lint-free non-odor absorbing material it would have been even better.

:bassist:

10. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Anybody else feeling hungry all of a sudden?

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys... i just have to save now. i was leaning towards the 1212 anyway, as i prefer to have more bottom end.