Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use a "HotSpot" type monitor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Aug 19, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The "sportsbar/restaurant" where I've been playing almost exclusively lately has a decent PA and adequate monitors - one mix. I have been using my Eden/Bergie as a stage monitor. I have a gig on Saturday and was thinking of trying a more "direct" approach.

Here's the plan. I thought I'd use my Fishman preamp/DI and a Yamaha MS202 powered speaker. I'd be through the FOH as usual, and in the monitors for the other guys. I'll use the MS202 so I can hear myself - kind of like a "HotSpot" monitor. I know it won't have bass response, and I won't "feel" the rumble, and it won't be really loud. That's not necessarily the point of a monitor. I am hoping it will be enough so I can hear what I'm doing. My rig is there from last nights gig so I do have a backup if this tanks.

Have any of you tried this? Any thoughts? It'd be sweet if I could just walk in with a briefcase (tuner, chorus and Fishman pedals) my bass and a little speaker.

2. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I say give it a whirl, depending on the PA you might get plenty of bottom from it which may satisfy your rumble fix.

3. I'm not sure if this helps, but....... my usual rig consists of an 800watt amp with 2x10 & 1x15 cabs but when I played this really gig theater/club (1000 people) I brought my SWR WM12 combo (100watt, 12ich speaker) and put a large wooden block underneath the front end of it to point it directly at my ears. It was off to the side and a little in front of me, about 6 - 8 feet on this massive stage. The club had a huge PA so the rumble was there but I had the small combo amp EQ'd flat (all controls at 12o'clock) to give me the mids and highs so that I could hear what I was doing. It worked great. I had played this club before and new I could get away with this. And having the amp angled and pointing directly at me as long as I was in "the Hot Spot" I could hear the pitch and definition of my bass.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All of the definition in the bass lies in the harmonics above 300 Hz,and that's also where sound start's getting directional and hard to hear if you're not on a direct line to the source. You're on the right track. The low end from the PA and what you're sending to the monitors will make it's way to your ears being non-directional frequencies. All you need to fill in the definition is a small speaker running from 300 Hz or so and placed where it's on a direct line with your ears. Just make sure you have a way of filtering the low frequencies out of the send to the Yamaha or you'll overload it.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I was thinking the same thing. The trick is to filter the lows from the yammy withougt filtering it to the PA or monitors.

6. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    [font=comic sans ms,verdana,arial]Steve,

You said it’s a “decent” PA. If that means it has subs, then IMO you’re on the right track.

My situation is like the one Big Benner mentioned. I play primarily at church and we have a capable PA with a pair of high-output 18” folded horn subs. However, I went a step further than Big Benner and completely ditched the traditional bass amp and went with pro-quality stage monitors.

It’s a tremendous improvement. I’ll never go back to a traditional bass rig, and other bass players I’ve talked to over the years who switched to stage monitors feel the same way. You can see a synopsis of my stage rig here.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [/font]

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, it didn't really work. The little speaker just couldn't keep up. Guess I'll have to keep dragging the Eden/Bergie to the gigs. Oh well, I tried. They don't have a sub yet. They have ordered some upgrades and should have a more than adequate system soon.

I have kicked around the monitor idea. The problem is, while a majority of my playing right now is at this venue, I also play gigs without PA support so I still need a rig of some kind.