Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use a keyboard amp for a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Has anyone done this before? What are the technical differences? Can I turn my keyboard amp with 15" speaker into a bass amp with a head switch or something?

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive used a peavey KB100 keyboard amp for a bass amp before. Im not a fan of the peavey tone, with that said, it did work well as a bass amp. You shouldnt have a problem.

3. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    another Peavey KB amp user here.
    it was my first amp and i liked it.
    the horn response was good and the fact it had two extra channels/inputs for other instruments was cool too.

tone was fine.
    not horrible, not great. just fine.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I used an old fender keyboard amp as a bass amp for a while. Don't expect anything amazing, but they do typically have very good frequency response. The tone controls may also not be as useful for bass, since the frequency centers will be different.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Most of "todays" keyboard amps are designed to handle a full range, partly due to the amount of keyboards with on board sequencers. KB100's and KB300's are hearty, but cannot effeciently move the kind of "air" that a true bass amp can and will often sound "soft" at any real volume. IMO ,for many beginners a low priced used "KB" or equivilant may be a good alternative to an entry level combo or practice amp(not naming names here) based on durability and flexability. This is due to the keyboard amp's ability to double as a monitor, sax, keyboard, or vocal support vehicle later on at practices, etc. because many have XLR and RCA imputs and multiple channels. When it comes time to spend any real $$$ a bassist "needs" a true bass amp when "competing" with the rest of the band..