Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use a Keyboard for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am noticing more professional touring cats using keyboards on certain songs and then regular bass on other songs. What kind of keyboard? Do you run it through your head and cab also? Do you need somekind of two channel thing or something?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would probably be best answered in miscellaneous. i'll move it there now.

3. I'm pretty sure the Tea Party uses keyboards for bass on some songs. I saw them live and for a few songs their bassist was playing keys and no one took over for him.

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    John thanks man but I posted there also.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I mean this in the best possible way Flat Bass. Don't double post [posting the same question in multiple forums] :) As for the keyboard bass thing-i haven't been to enough concerts other than ShowChoir, Marching Band, etc to notice. That's all

6. John Turner's Basses are keyboards (or at least synths) :p

7. jointus

jointus

Sep 20, 2003
    SATX
    I've used a Korg 01W Pro/x 88 keyboard for bass parts on some songs that I sequenced using this keyboard. I used my PA equipment with the keyboard for sound reinforcement. There is a big difference between the sound of a real bass and the sound of the keyboard 'basses'. The Korg is a stereo keyboard and sounds best played in stereo, although it could be played through a bass rig if needed. I've run my Casio CZ1000 synth and Roland JV1010 sound module through my bass rig and they sounded just fine. I mainly use the keyboards to get a deep, droning type of bass of sound.

8. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Sometimes I'll use a synth for bass. I use Roland Alphajuno 1/2 and I generally run it through a mixer with my bass to my bass rig. It's a pretty cool sound. And they are very different even though they serve the same function. I figure it is the only way that I'll ever play for Janet Jackson. Be Easy

Myron

9. One of my favorite bands, the Dismemberment Plan, used to use synth bass (using some awful early-'90s Roland synth as a controller for a Proteus 2000) on a bunch of songs and bass guitar on the rest. It was a great sound.

I think keyboard bass works better when the bassline is relatively simple and linear, and when the emphasis needs to be on Phatness. I would never use synth bass on a ballad or an uptempo rocker, but for midtempo pop or slow, dirty funk, it sounds amazing. Ironically enough, there are certain grooves that I've written on bass guitar but sound much better on synth bass.

10. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I thought about getting a keyboard also. I just don't know wich one to get. Are those $300 Casio or Yamahas good enough for a bar band situation? All I know is that you have to be able to split the keys.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my main axe is trumpet, so when i have a chance, i'm going to have a EVI (trumpet version of EWI) built for me.

playing synth bass parts on a midi trumpet would be too cool!

12. There are lots and lots of splittable early-to-mid-'90s synths available on eBay for $300 or less. They don't sound great, but for a bar band they'd be perfect.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I tried to convince my band members that I needed a keytar for part of our set. They shot that down pretty quick.

I think I'm going to do it anyway.

$50 keytar + <$100 Alesis Nanobass = Fun.

14. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Either try the Nanobass or the Peavey Spectrum Bass module. It has some pretty cool sounds in it too. B Easy

Myron

15. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Iv'e seen some keyboard bassists use a Triton. I've also seen many of them use an analog board (like Roland JP-8000) to create their own bass sounds. Also, Emu Proteus 2000 and Mo'Phatt has some pretty good synth basses. It's just a matter of which sounds that you like best.

16. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Korg MS2000, roland JD-990, Korg Prophecy, Alesis Ion, anything by Novation all are good for synth bass and aren't too expensive. If you are really on a budget, a Roland Alphajuno 1 can be had for under $300. I got mine for $150. And they rock once you know how to program sounds. B Easy

Myron

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    For me, I'd get a MIDIMAN Oxygen8 2 octave synth controller (for bass parts, when do you need more than two octaves?) for $150 or so, and a E-MU Mo'Phatt module to get the sounds and proccessing out of, and run that into my bass rig via another channel.

Actually, I'd love to get something like this, and somehow run a pedal controller (think Moog) as an optional controller.

18. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    You're right. I generally don't use more than 2 octaves. But I like to have a little more room. I hate using everything I have. 3 octaves would be perfect. Although I am a pretty big guy. A 2 octave board would look like a toy in front of me. The Mo Phatt is a great module. Either that or a Proteus 2000 would be a great choice. I personally prefer to go with a keyboard instead of modules. you need a keyboard (or controller ) anyway to trigger it. B Easy

Myron

19. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Wow! This is all new to me. So if you have a module and a midi keyboard, you're in business? How do you get the module sounds in the keyboard?

20. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    You don't. What you do is control the module with the keyboard (or controller) with a MIDI cable. The sound still comes from the module's line output. It is triggered by the keyboard. B Easy

Myron