Anyone use a modded Rat?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 31, 2003.

1. I want a distortion pedal fairly badly, especially since my "evil jam band" is down to a power trio with the departure of our saxophonist, and I don't have much dinero since I lost my job.

Therefore, I was thinking of buying a used Rat, BRAT, or Turbo Rat and having it modified to eliminate the high-pass filter by the guy at for $10 plus shipping. He already said he'd mod my Akai Variwah to eliminate its high-pass filter, so it'd be cheaper shipping-wise to send them both in one package.

Any thoughts? I know that some of you here have owned a two-digit number of distortion boxes, so your input is valued.
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i have owned quite a few distortion pedals over the years and the ProCo Rat is pretty cool. It does not have a great deal of variety, but it sounds good and is reliable. You should be able to find one fairly cheap on Ebay. Other pedals to look at are the EH Big Muff and The expandora.

hope this helps,

3. If you can mod a big muff pi to preserve low end better *and* mod it for a true bypass, it would be perfect. However, it does not have these features, but sounds good regardless.
  4. I bought a BRAT on eBay and I'm sending it to The FX Doctor as soon as it gets here. A detailed report will follow upon the mod's completion.
  5. Very nice, I'd love to hear the results
  6. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I had R.Keeley mod my Big Muff to be better for bass and WOW! tone knob is usefull now. It is now my favorite Fuzz/distortion, even like it more than my wooly mammoth.
  7. How much did it cost to mod the big muff?
  8. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I think he charged me $20 for the bass mod, and I paid another $20 to make it true bypass. I posted a review in the Keeley section of effect reviews on harmony central, Big Muff Bass/true bypass mod.
  9. I got the BRAT today and it's not passing any signal from the input to the output, so one of the jacks is bad. I'm quite angry at the seller for not testing it before he sold.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna send it to the FX Doctor anyway and get low-end boost mods for both it and my Variwah (which really is very juciy-sounding, just without any low end). Hopefully, the Doctor will be able to diagnose the jack problem first.
  10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I can't believe that people are paying good money for "Mods".
    BUY A SOLDERING IRON, learn how to use it, and go to any of the gazillion sites on the net that deal with fx building and mods.
    Modifying a distortion box for bass or true bypass should only cost you a few cents!
  11. You have not seen the horror that is me with a soldering iron, good sir.
  12. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!

13. Seriously--it's a good thing I didn't stick with electrical engineering as a major. I have a twitch in my hands, of genetic origin, and I don't have that much fine motor skill in the first place.

It would be a false economy for a guy like me to try to do his own pedal mods, because of the chance of damaging circuitry and likelihood of failure of my solder joints after relatively short operating periods. $10 for a bass mod isn't all that much. (The link Mad Subwoofer provided, with the guy who charged $50, was just ridiculous.)

Labor specialization does have its advantages.
  14. Old thread but hey I though it was useless to start a new one:

any chance there's someone around who knows for a modder of RAT's over here in Europe... more specificly in Belgium?