Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use a rack bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SteveC, Jan 23, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    So I think I decided that a 3 space rack is the way to go for my preamp (Blue Max, BDDI, Avalon) stuff.

I'm searching my options and rack bags showed up. Anyone use one of these? How do they compare to a normal rack case?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have an Odyssey 3 space rack back. I've had it for probably 2 years or so. I've been very happy with it and it seems to protect my stuff well.

I got mine from musician's friend.

brad cook

3. You obviously have to be more careful about banging the bag heavily against anything, especially the front. I happen to be very careful with my gear, so I never had a problem, but be honest with yourself about how you treat your gear.

The light weight of the bag is a big plus, and they are pretty durable. I had a SVT-4 Pro in my bag so you know the handles are strong!

If you are only carrying preamp gear you might find the depth of the bag to be excessive, but maybe someone makes a shallow depth bag.

I had planned to use my bag for an Ampeg preamp and Stewart power amp, but to my dismay the Stewart is too deep for the bag. The rear flap won't close over the fan, so it's back to the SKB case.

Rick B.

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I had a 4-space Pro-Tec rack bag, and while it was good for keeping dust and stuff off my SWR Mo'Bass, it was sort of wobbly. Maybe it was just not that well-constructed, but after that I stuck with wooden cases. I think for a 2-space or maybe even a 3-space it might work well, but any more than that and the rigidity really starts to suffer. Especially with a heavy 3-space amp like the Mo'Bass...