Anyone use a Traveler Bass TB-4P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yousaiditman, May 7, 2012.

1. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    DNA
    I'm getting a new job and I may have to travel a bit. Looking into a traveler bass to take with me on biz trips so I can keep up my chops, etc.

Anyone use a TB-4P? This thing looks pretty cool, but I can't find a place that has one in stock to try out. Wondering if any TB'ers own and use one.

http://www.travelerguitar.com/products/bass/tb-4p/

Thanks in advance for any comments on this post.

Attached Files:

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The GC in my area has been keeping a stock of these. Might try yours, they have been keeping them in the guitar section for some reason at the Clackamas OR one.

3. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    DNA
    Can't seem to find this particular one locally.

Also curious if any TB'er has this exact model yet. I think it's new.

I'd hate to buy it online, and then end up posting it FS on TB.

4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  5. SaxBass

SaxBass Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    I was waiting for this model to be introduced, wanted to take it on trips in retirement. I retired, it wasn't introduced yet. I'm not real fond of piezo (the other, earlier Traveler model), so I passed on that and picked up a much cheaper Ibanez Mikro. Since I didn't even get to check out the TB-4P, I also was hoping someone who had one would chime in here. The Mikro is fine, but I like the elegance, size, and potential durability of the Traveler headless design. I'm hoping this post acts a bump to keep the thread alive! Thanks for posting the question!

6. I played one in a local GC today and have to admit I'm GASing just a little bit for it. It's a perfectly acceptable bass for what it is -- a compact, short-scale, special-purpose road-warrior bass. If you're involved in multiple projects and run around with your gear a lot, this is a nice, light bass that's fantastic for practices and I wouldn't be embarrassed to gig with this once in a while (for shoulder-saving purposes, principally!).

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    sounds like a nice option! I travel quite a bit as well BUT usually have at least one bag (preferably carry one) and a (large) computer bag...so a travel bass would be too much...I would have to then check my luggage which is always a pain...

look slike a cool option though!

I was trying to figure out a good option for a "folding bass" but could not come up with a sustainable enough idea...

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    just got one and took it to rehearsal last night. out of the box setup and still very easy to play. the passive pickups sound nicer than i expected. i took the battery out and it played through an amp just fine. i like the 32" scale much better than my mikro's 28.5" scale. this may become a gigging bass. note: it does feel very small over the shoulder.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I owned one of these. Fantastic build quality. I gave up on it because the only options are the stock bronze strings it comes with. Not only is it impossible to get tapewounds for it, but I couldn't even replace a stock string if I needed too. Michael Kelly put out that bass with little to no marketing, and then forgot about it like it never happened.

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    You can't even get stock replacement strings? Man, seems like MK missed something here.
    Have you tried cauterizing a tapewound string, maybe with super glue, and cutting it to size?

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I spoke with someone from Michael Kelly and they really had nothing to say. I asked hypothetically what I should do if I break a string, and the guy told me I should be extra careful not to. The strings were apparently specially made for the bass by D'Addario. D'Addario said they made them, sold them to MK and they're all gone. I'm sure someone could modify a set of tapes to fit, but not me. It was really dissapointing because it was a beautifully crafted bass. Quality materials and build quality. It sounded great, but I have a deep, deep hatred of phosphor bronze strings.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021