1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone use a Walkabout cabinet (12" or 15") as a standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Looking for a cab to use with my Thunderfunk TF-420.

I checked out the Walkabouts in a local shop-they seemed to be light and made very well. Just wondering about how they sound?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use the Scout combo 12-essentialy the same cabinet. I like it a lot and it puts out a lot of bottom end if you want; more than your average 1-12. I've used it mostly with an R and B group with horns and Hammond. Plenty of volume for what I need. It'll fill a small room easily on its own and I use the direct out for larger rooms with PA support. It'll play cleanly for everything I need, but I wouldn't use it alone for loud rock or punk. It is only a single 12 and has its limits although it is quite efficient. It doesn't require a high powered amp to drive it to silly levels of volume. I'd love to try the 15 cabinet or a pair of 12s. But I don't need anything louder.

I'm completely satisfied with it and wouldn't consider switching to anything else I've tried. Very well made cabinet too.

I don't know what kind of music you play or what size of room so I don't know what else to tell you.

3. I have a mesa scout 15 I use as a stand alone. even outdoors it delivers the goods.(playing classic rock in bars and medium size clubs w\no p.a. support).I never NEEDED another cab,but I WANT a second one to double my pleasure..I come from the school of big bass rigs,mesa rr 2x15+2x10,mesa rr ph1000...while my ears loved it,my back did'nt....enter the scout,now my back and my ears are very happy and I think you'll be quite suprised this cab sounds way bigger than it is.

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Cool man-thanks! Did you get your Walkabout at Parkway Music?

I need something smaller than the 6X10-some club owners get scared when they see that! I would rather be more subtle-have a cab that looks small, but can still destroy the world!

5. yes,I did get it at Parkway..