Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use ActiveBass.com tools?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Danny Adair, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Does anyone regularly use the Line/Track Builder tools located on ActiveBass? I am in need of some serious work on my intonation and my walking lines, so I figured that their tools were worth a try. I kinda like it!

I broke out The Evolving Bassist and used the Track Builder to create "Rhythm Changes" - plugged in the chords (kind of a pain for a 32 bar form), set the styles, volume, and tempo, and I had instant accompaniment! Granted, it sounds like a really bad Casio keyboard preset, but it was very helpful for hearing how the lines fit into the chords and it helped highlight some intonation issues.

If anybody else has experience with these tools, I would love to hear opinions. Also, are there more sophisticated and flexible computer-based tools that perform similar functions? I think that having an advanced tool such as that could be every bit as beneficial for a solost as an Abersold CD, if not more so. Thoughts?

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    As I have mentioned before, I am quite happy with Cakewalk Home Audio 9. It is fairly inexpensive, and pretty versatile both for accompaniment and as a practice tool. I do have Boston Acoustic extension speakers on my computer, which really compliment the sound.

Additionally, when I get lazy and don't want to program my own accompaniment, I just e-mail Douglas Mapp and he sends me my request.

http://www.douglasmappmusic.com

I can plug that right into my Cakewalk and voila!!

3. Hmmm ... mkay .... I'm gonna have to go ahead and, um, disagree with you on that one (stupid Office Space reference :p). While ActiveBass certainly has some nice things going for it, I'll take TB any day of the week.