Anyone use an ART Mic Preamp or similar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Apr 21, 2005.

1. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Is anyone using one of these type of units as a preamp into a power amp, or EQ, or BDDI, something like that? I am looking at using the new programmable SABDDI as my preamp/DI. I am wondering if one of those little mic preamp units would be worth having as well. I plan to use my Boss TU-2 Tuner, Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus and SABDDI on a small pedal/DI board along with my QSC and Bergie.
  2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I used to own the ART Tubechannel. I regret getting rid of it. So long as you aren't desiring preamp stage distortion, this pre sounds awesome. (you can't use the preamp gain for distortion because the tube gets constant voltage, regardless of gain. The preamp gain is controlled by op amps that don't sound that great when they're overdriven. It is very warm and the EQ is quite useful.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I use the ART TubeChannel and love it.

However, for your application it does not sound like you need it. If the SABDDI puts out enough signal for your power amp then a mic pre would just be redundant.
  4. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I picked up a Tube Channel a while ago (used, since they are no longer made). It's really nice, and has lots of tonal possibilities. It's now on if you want to take a listen...

Haven't tried the current models because they aren't full rack space.

5. I'm using an Art PAC. I put a 12AX7EH in the preamp position. It sounds great with my pair of Eden D112XLTs. I don't drive it hard - just enough to get the clip light to come on here and there. It's the only thing between my bass and my power amp.
  6. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm doing exactly what you're thinking of-- for live performance, going DI, I use an ART Tube PAC along with a SansAmp (the new programmable one-- see this thread--

I was using an ART Levelar compressor and an SABDDI before. I lik e the gain structure better with the SanaAmp at instrument level, into the Tube PAC which raises it to line level, provides DI and compression. Also, the Tube PAC puts out 48v via xlr so the SansAmp is powered without battery or wall wart.

My $.02-- get the Tube PAC!

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have the BDDI for anytone or overdrive needs so the preamp doesn't need to do that. I'm just wondering about when I use it for clean stuff - jazz for example - if a little tube warmth would be nice. The BDDI does that, too, in simulation so I thought a "real" tube somewhere in the signal path might be nice. Maybe if I get a new programmable BDDI, that will help. I hear that the output is much better on the that model to help drive poweramp in the way that I am planning.

I use my Boss Tuner to power the BDDI. Works great.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have a Tube Channel as well. It was my main pre prior to my current Demeter. The Art is a very musical pre. I prefer the Tube Channel to the Tube PAC because the form factor is more convenient for me (full space rather than half) and the EQ is voiced well for bass.

This is a real sleeper of a pre. Two very minor complaints, 1 I prefer front panel inputs, the TC is rear only AND changing the tube is a PITA. Those are very minor annoyances for such a nice sounding pre for the dough however.

These things also make great mic pre's (imagine that, LOL).