1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Use an EQ Pedal with their RBI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jufros, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I really dig the tone on my RBI but wish I could dial in more low mids what with the MID knob being set @ 1k Hz. Has anyone tried sticking a GEB-7 or similar EQ pedal in front of the RBI just to boost the low mids a bit?

2. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    To clarify my specific use for this pedal:
    The RBI has:
    Low (80 Hz)
    Mid (1k Hz)
    High (3.2k Hz)

My Ibanez SR800 with emgs and BQC has good EQ and i probably wouldn't need the pedal with it:
    Low (what is this on the BQC?)
    Mids (300 - 3k Hz)
    Highs (Current Set at 2.5k Hz)

I also play a Fender Precision modded to a passive P/P pickup set up.

The GEB-7 has:
    50 Hz (i want to cut this)
    120 Hz (leave this at 0)
    400 Hz (boost)
    500 Hz (boost)
    800 Hz (boost)
    4.5k Hz (cut)
    10k Hz (cut)

So frequencies available in the SR800 Set up are:
    50, 80, 120, BQC lows, 300 (to 3k), 400, 500, 800, 1k, 2.5k, 3.2k, 4.5k, 10k

In the P/P Rig:
    50, 80, 120, 400, 500, 800, 1k, 3.2k, 4.5k, 10k

This seems like enough frequencies to work to get the tone I'm after.

So if I use the Ibanez, GEB-7, and RBI, I can cut 50 (GEB), 80 (RBI), 120? (GEB), whatever the low frequency is on the BQC (need to find this out), 3.2k (RBI), 4.5k (GEB), and 10k (GEB), while adding mids at 300 (BQC), 400 (GEB), 500 (GEB), 800 (GEB), 1k (RBI), and 2.5k (BQC). This seems fairly thorough to me but I may be missing a key EQ concept that I've overlooked. I am being purposefully anal about the EQ though, yes.

With the Precision, the OCD eq maniac recedes slightly, and I have
    50 - cut (GEB), 80 - cut (RBI), 120 - ? (GBC), 400 - boost (GEB), 500 - boost (GEB), 800 - boost (GEB), 1k - boost (RBI), 3.2k - cut (RBI), 4.5k - cut (GEB), 10k - cut (GEB).

I'm really trying to make an accurate "frowny face" throughout the mid region of the frequency spectrum to get what I think will an almost overpowering amount of mid frequency information with the lows and highs cut enough to prevent muddiness, inarticulate passages, and noise.

It's a relatively simple EQ concept but I'm just wondering if I've gone about doing it correctly. I was really loving the RBI tone but I've lost too many of my low-mids specifically to be able to get the sound that I'm shooting for. I figure I might have been better off with a different head, but aesthetically, I really dig the preamp so, is this a legitimate fix?

I could leave all of the eq on the RBI flat for the most part and fill in the holes that the GEB lacks. This way I can then dial presence and drive to taste.

Meanwhile, when using the active bass, I can fill in the remaining EQ holes in the midrange and high range spectrum to just keep the eq clean. It's kind of like I'm trying to use intense multi band EQ with 2 or 3 pieces together, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work.

I'm especially interested in rigging this for the P/P as the midrange there is of the utmost importance to me in my recording and performing. Can anyone offer any insight or advice about this set up? I've tried to do as much homework as I can here and I apologize for not being able to track down the Bass Frequency for the BQC or any "q" values for the RBI or GEB-7 as those would help tremendously.

I'm looking for beat your chest mids, growling low mids, good articulation, and a little sizzle from the upper mids, if that all makes sense. I want to cut the noise from highs and make them a little more muted, while cutting the lows don't reproduce at a punchy enough range to be useful for this sound. It's like a modern aggressive "rock" tone as opposed to a "scooped" modern tone. If I can get this EQ scheme to work with the RBI, whose raw tone I love, I think I'm gonna be a happy man.