Anyone use an MXR micro amp on a bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by E-rock, Mar 15, 2004.

1. E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If I were to upgrade my pickups to better sounding pickups, but with a lower output.....would I be able to correct that by using my MXR Micro Amp pedal? Like running that pedal as an outboard pre-amp instead of installing an onboard pre-amp? I was just worried that it may not sound as clean. Has anyone done this with good results?
  2. well, its funny you say that because i just read in my new issue of BP magizine that flea uses one, to boost his slap solos. i suppose that would would than, also seymour duncan makes a pickup booster that only adds volume and not distortion.
  3. E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I've heard of the seymore duncan setup, but I already own the micro amp for my guitar. I was just curious if it would boost low output pickups on a bass and still sound good.
  4. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I've tried yesterday this little box in az store with on Musicman..
    Sound very sweet, and I vas surprised to see that even with a lot of gain, the sound keeps clean.
    I didn't get any distortion, that is what I was looking for!
    Nice stuff ! ! ! !
    Gibraltaar likes this.
  5. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, its a clean boost. not designed to distort on its own.

would be good on a low output passive before things like envelope filters and stuff i guess.
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've got one of the Seymour Duncan pickup boosters (little red unit) and, to my ears, even at it's lowest setting it adds a little bit of grit/distortion.
  7. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Outstanding! I have one on the way and I am so glad to hear the ggod news. I was gonna use it in part of my chain where there is volume loss.