Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use an MXR micro amp on a bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by E-rock, Mar 15, 2004.

1. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If I were to upgrade my pickups to better sounding pickups, but with a lower output.....would I be able to correct that by using my MXR Micro Amp pedal? Like running that pedal as an outboard pre-amp instead of installing an onboard pre-amp? I was just worried that it may not sound as clean. Has anyone done this with good results?

2. well, its funny you say that because i just read in my new issue of BP magizine that flea uses one, to boost his slap solos. i suppose that would would than, also seymour duncan makes a pickup booster that only adds volume and not distortion.
    Charlie

3. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I've heard of the seymore duncan setup, but I already own the micro amp for my guitar. I was just curious if it would boost low output pickups on a bass and still sound good.

4. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I've tried yesterday this little box in az store with on Musicman..
    Sound very sweet, and I vas surprised to see that even with a lot of gain, the sound keeps clean.
    I didn't get any distortion, that is what I was looking for!
    Nice stuff ! ! ! !

Gibraltaar likes this.
  5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, its a clean boost. not designed to distort on its own.

would be good on a low output passive before things like envelope filters and stuff i guess.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've got one of the Seymour Duncan pickup boosters (little red unit) and, to my ears, even at it's lowest setting it adds a little bit of grit/distortion.

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Outstanding! I have one on the way and I am so glad to hear the ggod news. I was gonna use it in part of my chain where there is volume loss.