Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use an SWR Goliath Jr. / SOB cab combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalley, Dec 15, 2005.

1. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Just wondering how these 2 would sound together ...

I plan on getting a GK1001RB-11 & I'm thinking of this cab setup ... are they well balanced? Also, I noticed the dimensions vary slightly so would they stack on top of each other ok?

My other option is using (2) Goliath Jr's ...

2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey,

I own a 2x10 Jr. Goliath III and a 4x10 G III. They DON'T stack nicely. However, I assumed the more shallow SOB would be a good stack match for the 2x10...

That being said, I have tried the SOB and really thought it was a decent sounding cab. However, IMO the 2x10 is a much tighter box...better punch, louder, more balanced lows & highs. I'd give serious consideration to buying two 2x10 cabs. That way, your EQ on the GK will be more consistent -- rather than trying to compensate for two different cabinet responses.

I've always preached about using a 4x10 enclosure...much better sound all around than adding a 15...again, just my humble opinion. I think having the option of two 2x10s is terribly groovy. Use one for practices, small jobs, etc., stack two for louder gigs. They're fairly portable and somewhat easier to move than a 4x10.

3. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Good to know thanks!

4. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use an older (pre fender) Goliath Jr stacked on a Big Ben on larger gigs. The footprint of the 2x10 is a bit smaller than the 1x18 but the corner interlocks are large enough that they overlap and lock-in just fine. I think as long as the SOB has a large enough footprint so the Goliath can set on her, you'll be just fine. ...well, that is as long as fender still uses those interlocking corners on the SWR cabs. As far as sound goes, you'll just have to try out some different combinations and see what you like best.

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I am using that, exact setup, a Goliath III Jr and an SOB. (Newest Models)

They do stack nicely, The SOB is a little deeper, I interlock the front of both. The rear interlocks don't line up but the Jr is very secure on top of the SOB.

The GK1001 should be fine, I'm using a SWR SM-500, and have been considerring moving to a GK head as my set up seem to be lacking some mids, especially when I use my Jazz bass equipped with Dimarzios.

The SOB does maks a difference on the low end, but the Jr is punchier. You should decide if you prefer the sound of 2 2X10s or a 2X10 and a 1X15

6. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yeah, those new GK heads are quite nice -- plenty of power for the Goliath cabs.

Dude...buy two 2x10's!!! Then you can add two SOB's later for a double-wide mini stack yeah boy! :bassist:

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have a G3 4x10 and an SOB, stack perfectly. You'll notice I have the 15 on top, just because of looks. Good combo, I like the SWR cabs, good solid sound, good look too. I still have this rig, but I downsized last year cause I tired of hauling it around.

I like the idea of mixing speaker sizes, gives you a nice vibe.

Attached Files:

8. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Blueszilla, what is your downsized rig out of curiosity?

9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    iAMP 800 into a Schroeder 1210 and mini 12.

SWR rig = 750x in 6 space rack plus Korg tuner, approx 65 pounds, G3 410 @ 89lbs. and sob 15 @60 lbs. for a total of 214 not including bass, bag 'o cords 'n stuff and mic stand. At least 2 trips, maybe 3.

Smaller rig = iAMP 800 (w/ built in tuner) in 4 space rack, about 27 lbs., 1210 @ 48 lbs., mini 12 @ 28 lbs. for a total of 103.

Less than half the weight, and more power. I can usually load in with one trip.

It looks small, but it packs a serious punch when necessary.