Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use Avatar Cabs with Chapman Stick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by m2k2p, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Hey my first post on this list. I was thinking about getting an Avatar Cab for my Bass (Steinberger XL) and Chapman Stick Graphite XG (10 string 36" scale with Villex pickups w/ modified Roland GK pickup..amazing sound). I currently have a Carvin R600 (first series with tube preamp) and Carvin 4x10. I like the Carvin's mid range but I don't like its highs and lows. I have heard a lot of great things about Avatar. I am thinking about getting a 15 with the horn, but 2x12 sound interesting also. I wonder which of these might be better for my stick and bass. I have tried a Euphonic Audio 2x10 and it did'nt have much in midrange, great for lows and highs. Do these Avatar cabs produce synth sounds and the melody side of the stick well to? Anyway this list looks really helpful and thanks in advance for advice.

2. I would think that it would work. The Chapman stick doesn't go much lower than a bass does, IIRC, and with the higher registers, would be like running a guitar through a bass amp, which should be fine.

And on the subject of the stick, i hate you. I hate you so much. ;)

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd guess that the high-end on the Avatars will sound a lot like the Carvins. They might even use the same horn.

For the melody side and the synth sounds, I'd use something a bit more even-sounding like EA or Acme. Or, even a mid-sized PA speaker. I've met a number of Stickists who use PAs.

4. nice rig geshel. How do those QSC Poweramps compare to other makes and how much wattage do you use? Also about how much do they run? I tried a EA cab with my carvin head and I think I did'nt have enough power to really drive it, but I can get a really good deal on used EA 2x10 if I chose to. I am thinking about going the rack route eventually.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks. I can't compare the QSC to any other amps personally, well I've got an old Carvin 300w but never used it for bass. I decided to get a PLX based on many good reviews, and the power/weight ratio. I played a pretty big club with the QSC powering the two EAs off one channel, so 900 watts, and it was loud enough. The older EAs are a little power hungry. Not as much as Acme though - they're about midway between the Acmes and most bass cabs.

I got mine (3002) for I think $800 on Ebay (new in the box).

I haven't played Stick much lately, it's on loan right now actually, so I've never tried it through this rig. Few years ago I tried it through my Peavey 2x10 and it was so-so - not much midrange, harsh treble.