Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Use Bassballs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Sep 4, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Rumor has it they're popular. Electro-Harmonix Bassballs are supposed to be pretty popular among both guitarists and bassists, why don't I hear about them? Anyone use a Bassballs pedal? Tell about it.

I just bought one and it's so small next to my Morleys and Big Muff Pi. Oh well, will be a fun experiment. :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had one, didn't use it much and ended up selling it.

It's not the most varied of effects, but it does sound good in conjunction with other effects. Try running it after a fuzz pedal for a cool sound.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Already beat ya to that one, right behind my Big Muff in my signal chain. :p

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yep, i had for a few years, a great effect, but i find it difficult to control the volume of pedals so i recently sold and went for a rack mounted digital unit.

bass balls itself is a fantastic effect tho, the only gripe i had was that it tended to be a little thin on low end when the distortion was turned on.

also, if you want the most wacked out noises known to man, use your big muff in the chain before an ehx qtron, hit a note -letit ring, and tweak the drive and q on the qtron pedal - holy frikking moley the aliens have landed!!! :D

5. EHX BassBalls is my all time favorite defect pedal, it fuzzes, filters, pseudoflanges plays well with other efx and it is responsive to playing & pickup changes. Lots of times I just take a BassBalls and Zoom 607 or BP-8 and go.
    I also use it for funky rhythm guitar sounds and casio electronic sax thickener.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have one. I will actually run it behind a Lovetone Meatball, which in turn is behind a Whammy pedal. Put some delay on and BAM!! The mothership has landed.

Not terribly useful for many applications on it's own, however. Kind of a strange effect.

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I actually have an original BassBalls, though it's unusable after being in basement storage for like 25 years... so, when a band I was playing with covered Fight The Power by the Isley Bros., I ran out and got a re-issue. It's a really quirky effect but you can't beat it for greasy Bootsyfied funk.

Tom