1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone use Ei tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I came across a couple in a trade. Haven't tried them yet. According to The Tubestore they are now out of production.

2. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Those were made in Yugoslavia. Ei made a very nice 12AX7 which I've used before with great results but the only other tube from them I've used was the EL84 which was pretty good too.

I didn't know they were no longer in production....

3. They're great sounding, but prone to be VERY microphonic. EI was an old Philips plant, so the design was superb, but the assembly and quality control of Ei was atrocious. If you ever find one that isn't microphonic, you've got a gem.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They were very erratic. The ones that are good are really good, but there was a very high rate of failures straight from production. I have a few that I really like.

Also, I can note that while I bought a batch of them at one time, the 12AX7's showed a variety of traits...flat grey plates, shiny silver plates, long, short, etc....

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have one of their "gold" 12AX7's, and it sounds very nice, very low noise. But I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, so who knows about the future.