Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone use Elixir Nanoweb strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Getserious, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Getserious

Getserious

Jan 21, 2005
    i think i have some on my new bass i just bought from guitar center but i'm not sure . the strings are really smooth and feel great i wanted to know if they are Elixir Nanoweb Bass strings how would i find out and does anyone else use them

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The Ibanez I just purchased had a hangtag identifying it as "strung with Elixir Nanoweb" (certainly a nice upswing from no-name strings). I think that besides the benefit to having a set of name-brand string that you don't have to replace right after purchase, it also helps with the dreaded "two years in inventory" syndrome, where a potentially nice bass is brought down by a set of dead strings. Good move on Ibanez's part. :D

I'm not sure you can identify them strictly by feel - to my fingers they feel a bit smoother and "silkier" than my normal D'addario Prisms, but not much different than a good set of groundwounds. One thing's for sure, they don't have the "flaking off in huge chunks" problems the original Polyweb strings did. I also can't compare the sound differences, as the bass is my first passive in a long time, and to compare a "retro" P/J to more modern active basses would be futile.

I'll certainly say that until they die or I change tunings, I'm perfectly happy with these strings. :D

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I got them on my ibanez btb, not sure if i wanna replace them later for new elixirs when they cost about 130$ (sweden)...

4. I thought the Elixer Nanoweb were ok on an MM Sterling bass but on the Fender Jazz with stock pickup they were nasal sounding. After putting Bartolini's on my Jazz the Elixers are awesome sounding and feel good. Huge low end with thump or piano like sound depending on EQ. Good mids and smooth highs. I am really liking these strings at the moment but they do depend on your bass and pickups.

5. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    I played on some Elixir's that came on a Schecter bass I bought as a back up a while ago and they didn't do too much for. They didn't seem like they had much clarity and the low strings were thin sounding. I've been using DR hi-beams for years and they always seemed the best blend of longevity with a decent sound...and especially their sound doesn't change much dynamically as they are used.

Though I do love GHS boomers but they die in about 2 hours of heavy playing.

6. I also was introduced to Nanowebs by buying an Ibanez fretless bass on which they came installed from the factory. I thought they were perfect on a fretless, but wondered how they'd sound on a fretted bass, so I bought a set for my $400 Yamaha - they sounded just as good to me.

I like them because they're not bright to begin with, but are brighter than flatwounds, yet still have a roundwound feel to them. If you start with the stiffest, dullest-sounding flatwound strings, and slowly move on through the brighter-sounding ones, Nanos would be just about where the flatwounds end, and the roundwounds begin.

I like 'em.

I also like Dean Markley Blue Steel & DR High Beams.

Mike

7. Strings are subjective to what bass, pickups, amp, style and type of music. What works on one bass may not do well on another.

8. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I personally like D'Addario EXP's better, and they're cheaper too... =)

9. Nastyn8c would you do me a favor and read my post on bass strings for my Jazz bass and tell me if you think the EXP will suffice?
    Gary

10. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    Thats is a good point. For me I play with X-Factors and play through Mesa amps/cabs and the music I play is heavy rock/metal so I go for more of a grinding type sound.

11. I use polywebs that I enjoy immensely. They last so much longer than normal strings, which just wither and die under the apparently highly acidic sweat my hands produce.

12. I've got nanowebs on my Ibanez, personally I hate them, they have a good punch to them, but are a little sterile for my tastes. Also I’ve found despite being medium gauge strings they flop like crazy. D'Addario EXP's for me thanks!

13. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    if it's been used for a while, nano web probably tear apart from strings little. Elxir usually has brighter sound and slightly higher tension then other strings, and no silk or cover on end of strings like one from fender.
    Use it for a while, elixir should stands at least few months unless your hands sweat seriously.

14. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I am currently using nanowebs (GC didn't have any polywebs and I needed new strings) I really like. I have been using polywebs and they last a freakin long time. gotta love elixer.

15. I tried the Elixer Nanowebs on an MM Sterling bass with Active electronics. It sounded good.

I tried them on an MIA Fender Jazz and thought they were nasally sounding, however after upgrading the stock pickups to Fender Vintage Noiseless (12K vs stocks 8 k dc resistance) they sound really good. I think they do better with hotter pickups. :bassist:

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I have a set on my kubicki, and I love um. I've tried several different brands of strings and these sound great last the longest.