1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use flats on an active bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tendril, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'm contemplating putting some Fender 9050M's on my Pedulla Rapture, and noticed through my surfing that most people here have them on passive basses.

any input is appreciated.

2. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I use TI Jazz Flats on my 5 String Peavey Grind w/ EMG 40Js and an Aguilar OBP-1 Preamp. Love the tone, fat lows, growly mids, and very smooth highs.

3. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I use TI Jazz Flats on my Warwick Corvette Std 5 fretless and I love the the feel and the tone I get from them.

4. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    I've got Fender flats on my Subway Bass. Sounds pretty darn good as I'm told just about every time I bring it out.

5. psycholalia

psycholalia

Nov 29, 2007
    Seattle WA
    Yeah, I have got TI Jazz flats on my Pedulla MVP5. Sounds thicker and thumpier, as you would expect and feels supoib.

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I've got TI Jazz Flats on my Yamaha TRB1006. Solid and sweet tone. They play great on that bass. I have the 34" scale strings and the bass is 35". It's a perfect fit. The longer scale of the bass increases the tension of the strings slightly. Good stuff. I love the low B too.

Joe

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I use flats on this active bass:

FretlessBongo001.gif

Hey Joe, I'm so glad to see you! :)

8. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    G&L L2000E + TI Flats=Sonic Bliss

9. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Fender Jazz Deluxe 24 V 5-string active/pasive with RotoSound 775LD 45 - 130's on it and they sound awesome great tone.

10. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I use TI Jazz Flats on my Reggie Hamilton Jazz bass, absolutely wonderful tone and feel.

11. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I do now. I had the TI Jazz Flats on my Fender Jazz and up until about an hour ago it was a passive bass. I put in an Audere preamp ( super easy to install ) and it sounds pretty stellar. I'll need a bit more time for a full assessment but my initial take is I love it.

12. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I think the bass player from Matisyahu uses flats on a G&L active bass.

13. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I've got ground's on a couple of my Kubucki's - not an obvious choice, but sounds great.

14. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I just had a fretless neck fitted on my Kubicki, and I was faced with this dilemma. Might be blasphemous, but I put a set of Roto 77's on it. I like it!

15. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I've got flats on my main bass, an ibanez sr1000ewn which is active. I've used them on other active basses as well, honestly I prefer flats all-around, whether active or passive, fretted or fretless, I don't see why not?!

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    You too Alvaro!

17. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Everyone, thanks forthe reponses.

I put the flats on last nigth and gave the setup a tweak, and played it a bit. sounded pretty darn good.

I was looking to get away from the fret/finger noise, and the upper zing, and so far, so good. I know I have to gunk them up for a month or so to get a final eval, so that's whats next. Lots of noodling (why practice?:)

18. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    Yes, Kenny Ames, Kelly Hunt's bassist, uses them on his Sadowsky 5 string.

19. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Yup. On a Fender MIA Dlx V J. Yummy tone and easy on the fingers.

20. I've got 9050's on my Audere & DiMarzio Ultra J equipped Bacchus. I love it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021