Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Use Fretless On Everything?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Feb 27, 2005.

1. I went to my local guitar center yesterday and played a Warwick Corvette Standard fretless. WOW! Never played fretless before but the sound was quite intoxicating :) Played it for quite a while and then thought about it on the way home...:) I really can't think of many songs I'd use a fretless on. Do any of you play fretless on all or most of your material? What kind of music do you play and how does it fit in the mix? Thanks!

2. Not all, but a good chunk. I play a lot of Jazz and smooth funk though so it's quite an integral part of my sound. I've found with my tape wounds on it, the mix needs to be a bit more sparse to really get the full fretless effect, but with flats or rounds it fills it just like a fretted.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I play almost everything fretless. Check out my site for crappy samples. It's postprogindustrialambientcore.

4. Good chunk of it. And I play that exact bass! Right now, it has flat wounds, but I like the sound better with round. I play alternative/classic rock and it fits pretty well. I really just like the sound of the fretless mixed with the rest of my band.

When we play more laid back music, I pull out the fretless and it sounds great. If it's more agressive I use my spector. It all depends.

You can really use a fretless in whatever situation you want, and it will probably sound fine.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can do any of my gigs on fretless. I treat it as another bass.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I play fretless 95% of the time :bassist:

7. I would really love a fretless (I'm thinking of buying a Brice 6er).

The longest I've ever played a fretless for was 5 minutes, and it was a Warwick Corvette. I love the "mwah," but need a new amp before I bother buying another bass.

:(

8. Thanks for all the replies....though you're not helping with the G.A.S. :D

9. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    When I use a pick on the fretless, I can't tell the difference from a fretted. I put the pick in my mouth, do mwah with my fingers, then grab the pick, bring the neck pup back in and rock out. Makes for a great contrast.

Scott

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`m planning to buy a Warwick Corvette Fretless next week (if I can get a decent price). I`m picking it just to record a couple of songs where I need a fretless.

Can you get a deep "mwah" sound with this particular model ?

11. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I've come to believe that mwah comes from the hands more than anything. Remember that Jaco made all those sounds with a beat up passive Fender Jazz.

Scott

12. Yes. The flatwounds I have on there now don't give as much mwah as the rounds I had on before, so if your looking for mwah only I would use rounds, but it's all a matter of opinion.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I checked out a Brice 5 string fretless jazz bass yesterday. It was used, Ash body, Maple neck and fingerboard, passive electronics. Other than tight string spacing it was pretty nice. It looked like it had room to go wider with an adjustable bridge, which it didn't have. If I didn't have a fretless...

14. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I use my fretless for all of our songs except for our one slap song, a RHCP cover. Not that a fretless can't be slapped, it's just not the sound I want on that tune.

15. My experience is that usually if people play a fretless bass (when I say people, I mean like bar and wedding bands), they play it AS a fretless, IE with the swoops and the vibrato and the Come-on-now-why-don't-cha-hey?!...

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

you go to bars???

I play my fretless same as I do my fretted, I think "URB" not "mwah" or "Jaco" or "Pino"

if'n I slide to a note... it's usually cause I missed it and I'm fixing it ;)

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I play it like a fretted bass... and do fretless things when the mood strikes me.

It seems that some think you're supposed to slide into notes.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I play primarily fretless (4 string BG, and now DB.) In my band, I play entirely fretless live. In the studio, I used a fretted on an epic metal song and on a slappy-chopsy rock song. My fretless is a lined Yamaha BB404F with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. Fantastic sound! We do originals in a bunch of genres -- generic rock, funk-rock, metal, slow ballads, lounge jazz, and 70's-meets-Chili style funk (70's bass, Chili's guitar.) I always cut through and the fingerstyle sounds GREAT. Slap sound is ok. Tapping sounds fantastic on it as well.

19. I need to play everything fretless, because my fretted is crappy. All my gigs are played on my fretless, which gives my band a pretty unique sound.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just started my ventures as a fretless player, and to be honest, I play it like a fretted, glissandos sound a bit better than on a fretted, but I love the mwah.

Give me a year and I figure I'll be good enough to record without frets.