Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone use in ear monitors onstage?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The new band I'm in is all about these in ear monitors. I tried 'em on one gig. Couldn't hear my stage volume or tone worth a damn, and the tone of my bass in my ears left alot to be desired.

Question: would you be willing to try them yourself, or would you have a definite policy or feeling about it either way?

My other option is to use a hot spot monitor and I have never tried those before. Anyone?

My high standard for quality of tone from my bass on the gig is the conflicting factor. I wasen't sure which forum to post in so pardon this if its a near miss. Thanks.

2. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Normally you wear them in one ear, so you should be able to hear your amp and stage volume with the other ear.

I am all for anything to reduce overall volume so I am not deaf at 50.

3. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    The main thing with in-ears is to get some good earbuds that really seal your ears...otherwise, there is NO bass response through them. I use the FutureSonics Ears, which use foam plugs, and they sound good to me. It just takes some getting used to...You won't feel the air moving out of your bass amp. However, I'm a big advocate of in-ears. Our band sounds much tighter, there is zero stage volume (we use V drums also), and we're "scalable" to any sized venue.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My Old Church had them, couldn't stand them. Unfortunently they are the products of loud drummers-gutiar players and sound guys who want to control stage volume. I have two problems with them besides the issues you brought up. #1 How can a band interact and play off each other when their playing thru earphones?, How can they stay tight with NO SENSE of Dynamics? #2 You almost feel like your playing in a recording studio and I think it destroys the "energy" normally associated with a live show.

5. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Tonenazi

I have used them a couple of times and found that the quality of experience is greatly dependent on who's turning the knobs. That kind of system does get stage volume down and let the PA really do its job, which I feel is a good thing.

However, if you have a bad mix in your ear then you feel absolutely helpless. Do you like your sound guy(s)? Maybe with some work and adjustment you can find a mix that everyone can agree on.

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I'm opposed to them. The only thing I want in my ears at a gig is earplugs. Too easy to hurt your hearing by pumping the music in by ear monitors. A little feedback or other problems could be quite damaging. Plus, we use real drums and we do not need to mic them - they're already way too loud. I also want at least a little control on the mix I hear, i.e., I want more bass than the guitarists want, so I find it more convenient to be able to hear my amp a little better than I hear the guitarists amps.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    they only damage your ears if you have the volume to high. when using IEM's, you actually don't have the loudness that most bands pump out.

IEM's are the way to go, safer for your ears and easier on your back

:)

8. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I have used them. Like someone already said, it depends on having a great soundman. It also requires a good system, the sound man has to know what you are hearing by monitoring all of the different mixes.

9. +1

If IEMs are adjusted correctly, you should hear yourself (and others in the band) better than you will ever be able to using speaker cabinets.

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

I totally agree. I used them with great success in my 10 piece funk band. I loved being able to hear at th eend of the gig. No ringing.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the first time i used them, after the gig was done, i took them out - it was amazing, the crowd (the DJ didn't start the music back up yet) was sooo loud. i couldn't believe it! i figured if the crowd seemed that loud, than the band was really loud to my ears. it felt great on the way home, mellow and no sore ears!

i was sold on them.

12. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    We use the Aviom system which doesn't require a sound man...each person has their own personal 16 channel mixer. In our case, the drummer runs the FOH sound (Berklee grad in sound engineering), but we all dial in what we personally want. One thing I learned is to NOT put my bass or my vocals too hot in my own mix, but mix the way I imagine FOH would sound like. When I hear recordings of the FOH mix (straight from the board), I'm glad to say that my bass is plenty present in the mix.

13. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    it took me like a couple of hours to get use to them but now I love them no ear fatique and not carying more monitors anymore

I heard some bass players get a bass shaker for the floor so they can still feel themself play

later
    Butler

14. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I love IEMs. Wish I had occassion to use them more often. I've always used them with Aviom systems so the mix is really up to me. It is important to have a room mic in the mix to get the ambient feeling.

I've used Shure in-ears and Westone in-ears. I liked the Westone better. It is important to get a good seal on your ears and be sure to wear both.

As far as feeling your bass, I've gone two routes: continue running your amp onstage but put it directly behind you and up off the floor. I've done that to feel the bass in my back. Otherwise, I've also used ButtKickers on a platform. Amazing feeling, but not available very often.

Good luck.

15. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    My band uses IEM's (myself included). If you have in-ear monitors, you really don't need stage or wedge monitors, besides they'll just increase your chances of getting feedback in your IEM's. Make sure the band your in knows how to really use them. Here's what we do:
    we use a split-snake, one end goes to the Front of House console, while the other end of the split snake goes to our dedicated monitor console. From that console, eash member gets 1 of the 4 bus outs from the board. This way we can each tailor our own individual mixes, and everyone is happy.
    Most sound guys like the fact that we bring our own monitor system, since they don't have to fool with our mixes.

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    interesting, most prefer them. I'm surprised a little. I'll have to give them more time. I have a choice between the foam or plastic ear sleeves. I used plastic before. Which one works best for you guys?
    Thanks for your responses, most helpful.

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if you get foam, get the thick ones

never used plastic, seems uncomfortable, but i could be wrong (i know shure gives you three sizes)

the great thing with Westone is that you can get partial ear molds for some shure and westone IEM's - it's like having full molds without paying for the full mold price

check out westone.com

lastly, IEM's take some getting used to and by far are they easier on your ears.

18. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I prefer them also. Monitors are yesterday's news. :)

19. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I think foam works just fine for most people. Westone carries different sizes for different ears.

That said, I did spring for custom molds and I've worn them for upwards of 6 hours before with no discomfort.

20. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    How much did your molds cost ya? We started with Shure E-1's, but my drummer stepped up and got a pair of the dual driver earbuds from Futuresonics. I think he paid somewhere around $1,100 (ouch).

My question is: how much did you guys with molded or partially molded IEM's spend?

And another thing: Has anyone compared the Sure E-1's (single driver) with the E-5's (dual drivers)? Are the E-5's worth the $500?