Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use In Ears exclusively - no amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 6, 2006.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I did a search but didn't come up with this exact issue. Most of my gigs are PA supported and most of those have decent monitors. I run a DI and have been using a small stage amp for personal monitoring, although I use ear plugs so it's not really doing much.

I have been thinking about using an IEM system and leaving my amp at home. I don't need to "feel the bass" to be comfortable or play, just hear it.

The system I am thinking of would be the Shure PSM 200. It has two 1/4"/XLR combo inputs that take mic or line level. I would use the 1/4" out on my BDDI to one, and either an aux send from the FOH OR I could also just plug in a mic and use it to get the monitor mix and other ambient stage and audience sounds in the other. Each input has it's own level control so I can mix it how I want. Seems like a great way to hear me and everyone else while protecting my ears.

For practice and the occasional stand alone small gig I was thinking something like a Fender Bassman 150 or SWR Working Pro 12. Both tilt back type combo ams with 12" drivers.

Anyone here doing anything like this?

2. Try talking with BigMikeW.
    I seem to recall him posting about using in-ears for live gigs.

3. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I use a IEM + DI when I play Sunday mornings at my church. I use a PSM200, except I take the output of the first channel plug it into the input of second channel. I learned this trick from another forum and apparently gives it more headroom so it sounds better. I didn't like the stock Shure E2 IEMs that came with the unit because it wouldn't give enough bass and replaced them later with something else much better.. but I think it's person-dependent though.

I don't use a ambience mic because I usually dial-in some guitar and vocals and I stand close enough to the drum kit so I get a feel for the entire band. This took a while to get used to though.

4. A couple months ago a friend's band went to using that system for the guitars. They had been using a Peavey C30 and a Fargen 40 watt Blackbird. I went to one gig and it was unusual to see them adjusting little DI boxes clamped to mic stands. They sounded good, but the bass player was still using his AG500 into a S410 cab. The bass was buried in the mix, but I think that is a function of their bass player and his reticence to be noticed. I haven't seen them outside of that gig to ask about the switch.

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I miss my amp on stage!:( I don't know anything about personal monitiors, Our church purchased an AVIOM system, each musician/vocalist can dial in their own mix. Sounds very sweet and accurate. I run my passive 5'r thru an Avalon U5, and it sounds good thru the Aviom's....especially when the sound man cranks the 18" subs under the stage.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

I did this same thing with using the mic to pick up stage noise ect. It worked nice.
    I liked it and may go back to it some day. It's just hard when your the only one using it and everyone else is just blasting away onstage and they want to feel/hear more bass other than from the monitors.
    Used the Shure PSM 600.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have used IEM before so I am used to the whole bass response or lack there of thing.

The reason I mention using a mic and getting "ambient" sound is for when I may not have an aux send available for me. I figure using a mic to pick up what I would normally hear without IEM's would be a way to go.