1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use just one brand for whatever reason? All MXR for example.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 22, 2021.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    So I debate going to an effects board all the time. Does anyone use all one brand just for ease? Or they are good enough? I don't know that I want/need "the very best" of every pedal.

Thoughts?

Highroler79, J_Bass and lowendrachel like this.
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Only reason I can think of why I would do that is if I was in an emergency "gear-stolen" situation and had to build a board for a gig at one big-box music store, using only what was readily available. But even then I'd probably mix brands. Would look something like MXR Comp -> BOSS OC-5 -> Aguilar Agro -> EHX Muff -> MXR Envelope Filter -> BOSS Chorus -> BOSS DD-8...

3. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Not me personally. I think people who do that are really OCD. Or they just think that one brand makes the best of every type of effect. I don't think that's true, so I have multiple brands.

4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I bet there are all Broughton boards. I have a no Broughton board.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I think someone here has an all-Aguilar board. Main reason was that the pedals are all the same size and have top jacks so he was able to cram a bunch of 'em into a small board... and it was quite tidy-looking, as I recall.

My ears like variety, so I swap out my dirt pedals frequently from one brand to another, and never hesitate to use heterogeneous stacking combos. Whatever works!

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This is precisely what I was thinking all the way down to the brand.

Matt Dean likes this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I just wonder in a live situation, how much of the subtleties we obsess over between some pedals (and basses, and amps, and...) may be lost.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Almost entirely.

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    You sound like someone who would be happy with a multi effect. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

LowActionHero likes this.
  10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Not at all. Love my pedals, love obsessing over gear, love diving into recordings, etc. Not trying to harsh on your thing. I'm into music and effects because they make me happy and feel good. If someone else picks up on the nuances, incredible.

Based on my experience, people who do not play music don't listen to music the same way someone who does might. Show a friend a song with some bass phaser, lets say Stranglehold, ask them if they ever noticed the effect. In a live setting most folks might hear something going on but I don't think they'll be able to tell the difference between some boutique muff clone and any old overdrive.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  11. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    There are brands I'm loyal to, but I don't go crazy. I have pedals by MXR, Cusack, TC, Broughton, Malaise Forever, SushiBox FX (on order), Seymour Duncan...love those pedals, but won't restrict myself to certain brands.

I am a Genzler and Reverend fan boy, and don't see the need for other heads.

I buy what works for me. Cameras are a different story, and I'm Canon for life.

12. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Through no fault of my own I'm at 75% TC.

Solarmist likes this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Steve Vai reportedly uses all Boss pedals - reason being that, if he get somewhere and his gear didn't get there, or something breaks, a replacement is easy to find.

14. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah - I had an all Markbass pedal board for awhile (except for the tuner).
    pboard.jpg

15. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Not unless an endorsement gave it all to me for free...

I pick gear the same way I pick cars and politicians. One at a time, regardless of affiliation.

Troy Eggen and Nerve like this.
  16. Plain Old Barry

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    I'm sure an endorsement didn't play into the decision at all... :laugh:

MynameisMe likes this.
  17. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Tons of people have all Boss pedal boards. I think it has to do with them being easily available used, so bang for the buck. Robert Smith and Prince famously used only Boss so anyone who idolizes them might go that route.

18. jkazam

jkazam Supporting Member

May 25, 2007
    I wish top loading jacks were standard.

19. Plain Old Barry

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Prince used mostly Boss, not only...
    From: The secrets behind Prince's tone on Let's Go Crazy | Guitar World

EFFECTS: Colorsound Wah, Boss DS-1 (Tone: 6, Level: 7, Distortion: 9), Boss OC-2 Octaver (Oct 2: 10, Direct Level: 7, Oct 1: 6.5), Boss BF-2 Flanger (Manual: 9, Depth: 9, Rate: 3, Res: 10)

matante likes this.
  20. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I'm not a pedal guy in general, but my doubling rig includes a little Boss board with 3 Boss pedals. I suppose if I were a tone-chasing pedal connoisseur I'd want different brands for different things, but for my purposes Boss "just works" and the the little compact pedal board/case is just right. PXL_20210209_171857245.jpg

Don41_2, DrMole, J_Bass and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021