1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use just one brand for whatever reason? All MXR for example.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM.

1. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I could easily go all boss, especially if there was a check that came along with it.

2. That would be @andronik.

See it here:
    The NANO Club! the pedaltrain babies or equivalent!!

If I could afford it, I'd have an all Dr Scientist Board.

While I'm at it, an all Fairfield Circuitry Board.

And then I'd need an all Empress Board.

I'd also want an all Diamond Board.

An almost all Wounded Paw Board.

Working on an all DIY Board...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM
    MynameisMe, Andy V. and andronik like this.
  3. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    Croatia
    1IMG_20210219_2046173.jpg It is not all Aguilar but mostly (there are Phil Jones, MXR, Mooer and Boss Waza on it :) )
    2IMG_20210219_2059358.jpg

4. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    My big board is almost all Boss because it was what I found for a good deal. I have replaced it currently with the Boss multi effect unit because I found I like their sounds. I did have an all Aguilar board for a while a long time ago. It got sold when I wasn’t using it and the boy wanted an Xbox.

lowendrachel and andronik like this.
  5. They are. They are The New Standard.

Unfortunately not everyone has seen the LED-light, and many are still burning candles...

I, too, wish people would come out of the dark ages and step into the light.

jkazam likes this.
  6. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    I do now. It’s called a Line 6 HX Effects.
    Replaced the following:

Keeley Bassist Compressor
    Darkglass B3K
    Damnation Audio MBD2
    MXR EVH Flanger
    EHX Small Stone
    Digitech Drop
    Peterson Strobe Stomp
    Etc..
    Etc...

4Mal, DrMole, jbybj and 1 other person like this.
  7. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    I have many Boss devices, and love them, but are you aware your EQ is mostly cutting your signal?

If that's what you planned, say for a specific instrument, great, but sliding the entire curve up a few notches will still provide your desired EQ without cutting the overall level.

8. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    yep, I know... you'll also notice it's feeding into an A/B switch where the signal is cut even more... at the end of the chain (amp in) the signals between the two instruments comes out the same when I switch. :thumbsup: A primary goal of my doubling rig is to not have to twiddle any knobs when I switch.

DrMole and Plain Old Barry like this.
  9. I used to have an all DOD board. Four reasons - affordability, ubiquity, durability, and they just plain worked. These days, I'm slowly getting more MXR\Dunlop, but will never be 100% one brand on my big board.

10. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    That makes perfect sense! I do the same when switching from a passive instrument to an active. As long as you know why, it's all good.

11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    yep, and some may not know both the LS-2 and the GEB-7 have significant gain boost potential, 20db and 15db respectively. Very nice for balancing instruments with radically different output levels. I cut to match, but you could just as easily boost to match if you need a hotter signal for whatever reason.

12. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I was probably remembering that he owned all the pedals Boss ever made or something like that.

13. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I prefer side jacks — I can get three rows on my board (one row is small pedals), and the top row pedals don’t rest on the plugs when traveling in my Mono case. I don’t care much for power jacks on top as they’re plastic and can be damaged. And I don’t get along with pedals with jacks on three sides (I’m talking to you, Electro Harmonix, TC Electronic, Boss...).

But I use them all. I’m a guy with 14 brands among 16 pedals on my board.

Yep, mileage varies.

Frodolicious likes this.
  14. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    FYP

15. i listened to a track from a show a year ago, had my board going, so there was a dod chorus b3k and mutron boost. i liked it and it was better than plain bass. 3 piece heavy band.
    i’d go all mutron for sound and reliability if i could.

Zoffy likes this.
  16. Thats me, Boss Tu3, CE-5 and ODB3. They are tough and imo the best all around. I also like the colors.

Meaculpa likes this.
  17. Meaculpa

Meaculpa

May 18, 2019
    Well I craft all my sound through a Boss gt1b so...yes. hahaha.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I’m kind of digging analog/tube these days with my REDDI but I’m not opposed to something like an HX Stomp. Just have it all and be done. They’re supposed to sound nice. It’s a lot of pedal for a few songs a night though.

19. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    If you’re new to pedals and on a budget, all behringer maybe lol.

20. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    I use all MXR, except for my Korg PitchBlack Tuner. I do not claim to be pedal expert, far from it. I think most players have experience with the different gear and know what they like/dislike after using it.

I have a friend who's music store is an official MXR distributor. So he typically get's me the best deal. It started with the M81 compressor and M89 overdrive. I really liked those, so I kept them. Over the past few years I have added MXR's chorus, octave deluxe, delay, AND preamp pedals... While I have not swapped any out for different brands yet, I'm definitely learning what I like and what I don't like. For example the overdrive pedal doesn't get clean enough for me anymore. I'm loving the Carbon Copy and chorus deluxe, but the octave pedal isn't quite the tone I'm looking for.

It's a journey, just like with all of the other gear... Start somewhere, and slowly figure out what you like/dislike, etc... My all MXR board was more due to convenience than anything else, but I don't plan on keeping it all MXR now that I have more experience.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021