1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use just one brand for whatever reason? All MXR for example.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM.

1. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    In the drumming community, almost everyone gets an endorsement with a single cymbal manufacturer. I'm not sure why that is, since a lot of people will say "it's just ink" if you go exclusive.

Conversely, I don't know of any pros that specifically endorse a single pedal brand. Gear is weird like that.

2. No, I honestly can’t think of any brand that makes a good enough variety of pedals. Maybe neural dsp with the quad cortex but that’s about it and it’s pretty expensive. I use mxr, darkglass and several TC pedals. Tc doesn’t make any dirt pedals I like, darkglass really only does compression and dirt, and mxr doesn’t have a digital delay. So for me the only way o could see a single brand pedalboard is if I ended up getting a quad cortex.

3. JohnNash

JohnNash

Oct 13, 2020
    I'm a man of simple tastes; Boss pedals, Ampeg amp...that's me!

furym and J_Bass like this.
  4. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I think it looks cool but you will be restraining yourself to others great sounds.

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My very first board had 3 Aguilar pedals and a Korg tuner.
    The reason behind this was simple: I got a very good deal on the Aggies and they were supposed to be really good.
    The form factor, however, was great. They sit side by side with their top mounted jacks and look glorious.
    Back then, when I wanted something new I'd first look at Aguilar because of this.
    Nowadays, I look for the best pedal for me. Which means the pedal with the best sound for the cash I'm willing to spend.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  7. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    I sometimes go on pedalboardplanner.com and see what an all-(brand) version of my board would look like.
    Just an idle 5 minutes of fun.

I wouldn´t actually do it, though. Not least because there are surprisingly few brands out there that actually make an octaver or a phaser. Boss, TC, 3leaf, IE, Trex, COG, Behringer (and the other cheap knockoff brands), um... help?

Peace,
    SoundSupport

8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    There was a time when I thought compressors began and ended with dbx....but that was twenty/thirty years ago

9. For me, at the gig, in the sound stage, is where the subtleties matter the most. Where the dedicated pedals dominate the multi-effects units, where the boutique quality pays off. Not sure how much difference it makes FOH (but I think it does make a meaningful difference judging from soundboard and audience recordings), but for me personally while making the sounds with my band I’ve found it makes all the difference.

SteveC likes this.
  10. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Well, I seem to have collected a lot of Eden Gear over the years.

11. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Not all 1 brand for me, but mostly all source audio for all of my modulation, octave, synth, and delay. I've got a darkglass for dirt/DI and an empress comp. I like the source audio for the midi capability so that I can change all of the fun modulation effects with a single push of a button instead of having to tap dance. I did also recently add a superego for fun and practice with drone notes.

20200705_230937.jpg

That's an old pic of the board, it's since been cleaned up with the hub on the underside.

Robbie J likes this.
  12. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    When I see something like that, I think the person is a sales rep or promoter for a certain company.

I suppose for jack alignment it might be understandable, but I would hate to be pinned to a pedal for that reason. One company may make great compressors but not so great preamps.

MynameisMe likes this.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Thanks for the responses. You don't see too many single brand boards. I mentioned MXR as they seem to have a few good pedals - chorus, comp, filter, octave - the main things I think of for myself.

I did have a very expensive tube compressor that was amazing. Really worth the money, so I do get the buy whats best at any cost mentality as well. Again, if it inspires you that's what's most important. I just try to keep it simple, maybe to a fault. The LA-1A tube compressor is the first effect where I spent what I thought was way too much, but it was such a noticeable difference. Just don't want to do that for every pedal - as I may only use it for 1-2 songs a night.

14. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    It is very tempting to go all Source Audio. The interconnectibility of their product, the build quality, and the sound quality and variety are unequalled.

And they create that interconnectibility without making it a hassle to just use one of their pedals. I dislike companies that force you to work within their ecosystem -- though I'm stuck with that in the computer and mobile phone world.

15. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Mostly mxr here. Tc tuner, Broughton filters. Really like that they have a good selection of all analog pedals. :) 20210223_091338.jpg 20210223_091338.jpg

Robbie J, J_Bass, MynameisMe and 2 others like this.
  16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    New MXR Bassboard.jpg

newpedalboard.jpg

J_Bass, MynameisMe, HolmeBass and 2 others like this.
  17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Almost all my drums are Yamaha (snares vary) and all my cymbals are Zildjian As.

No stringed gear exclusivity, but I do have 4 Squiers. :D

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I was all Source Audio in the efx loop of a bass bone plus a TC polytune mini for quite a while. The I found the Future Impact and then the Hx stomp...

cymbal packs...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:18 AM
  19. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    There have been a few times where all the pedals on the board were EHX, but that's like a guitar player saying they had an all BOSS rig.

20. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I think the most common occurrences for this would be either an endorsement or owning a Boss pedal case / pedalboard. Boss was kinda smart putting out a pedalboard that encouraged more Boss pedals. Surprised that they only recently started selling the cables to connect the pedals. That seemed like a big oversight.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021