Anyone use just one brand for whatever reason? All MXR for example.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    I’m halfway there myself after getting the C4, Spectrum, Ultrawave, and Lunar Phaser. The past two weeks of tweaking have left me with the impression that, given I get a Collider, I can get every sound I need out of Source Audio’s pedals. This is as close to an all-one -brand board as I can get. However, my Korg G5 and Aguilar Octamizer will never leave my board.

One a side note...If Source Audio were to ever create/recreate the capabilities of the Yamaha UD Stomp and its 8 delay lines then I would happily be the first to buy it.

AlvarHanso and GMC like this.
  2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    There's a LOT to like about the Collider. I've been tempted many times. It's simplicity and ease of use are one of it's many benefits. However, an all SA board? My Hog2 and pair of Eventide's H9's aren't going anywhere soon either. Source Audio have been adding top tier / best available pedals to my board every year now...Aftershock, then the C4, then the EQ2 and now the Ultrawave. I used to rock a Strymon mobius and between the C4, UltraWave and Lunar...there's nothing that panel can do that my SA pedals can't cover.

AlvarHanso and Kawai2g4b like this.
  3. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Yeah, I may do what I've seen advised here a few times: take the MoogerFoogers off the board, put them in the closet for a few months, and if not missed, then sell. Those would be insanely tough to replace. And I was also thinking that if I got the SA Flanger, that would also include the Phaser engines, right? So, could go that route and still have the Moog. The other pedals I'm less concerned with keeping around. Though, a SuperEgo may finds its way back into the mix, not the + version. It does things nothing else does, like your Hog2. Not always the most usable, but always interesting at the least.

4. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    All the models from the three modulation One series are cross compatible. I'll be uploading my most used patches up there soon too. The control knobs aren't re-assignable with these three pedals though. so look closely at the Gemini, Lunar and Mercury and see which one works for you best. The Gemini gets "Mix" and "tone", neither of those controls are particularly interesting to me. The Mercury gets "Resonance" and "Delay", the Lunar gets "Resonance" and "LFO Shape" which I thought was the most useful of the three options.
    The Flanger and Phaser engines / patches are excellent out of the box and don't need much tweaking. However, the stock Chorus patches need a bit of work to get sounding right on bass. I've not found a great resonator patch yet. I have a workable one, but it's not great. At the moment I'm using a Eventide H9 patch for that sound.

5. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks! I knew about those 3 essentially being a 3 in 1, but never thought I'd really need any of them, since I had Phaser covered, and haven't used Chorus in my chain in some years, since I had a BBE Mindbender. The flanger was one of the options on the SuperEgo+ I liked, though getting it to come through as much as I wanted was another matter. Resonance and LFO do seem like the knob option I'd like best. I love maxing out resonance on the Moog and using the EP-2 to drive it into dive bomb sounds. But I still have to receive and learn the Soleman... :)

6. Acidic Pool

Acidic Pool

Feb 16, 2021
    I feel like I could do this with EHX. Octave Multiplexer, Qtron, and some kind of Muff. Simple and cost effective! Maybe also Bad Stone, Hot Wax, and...some kind of compressor? Do they make one?

Kawai2g4b likes this.
  7. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    They have at least a couple compressors. I have/had the EHX Platform stereo compressor on my board until the Ultrawave Beta knocked it off very recently. And mainly knocking it off for ease of use. It's a really good compressor. And it also has a decent overdrive, and can be used as a limiter.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021